Fact or fantasy?

To identify an engraved crest, post an image here. - PHOTO REQUIRED
wev
contributor

Fact or fantasy?

Post by wev »

I might know a little bit about American silver, but I know cold beans about crests thereupon. This is on a fiddle thread platter spoon by Thomas Charles Fletcher c 1830. Given the joined shields and form, I'm thinking a wedding gift? Any ideas on its reality or meaning?

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Fact or fantasy?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Your image is not showing for me and when I try to access it directly I get a 403 Forbidden Access error.

Phil
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Okay, sorry. Let's try this:
Sasropakis
contributor

Post by Sasropakis »

The coat of arms displayed in that manner do point out to a married couple so it might indeed be a wedding gift or commissioned by the newly wed couple. I would assume that the coat of arms are genuine. Fantasy ones would probably have some more obvious elements like lion or eagle or just be rather generic like a shield with simple divisions. On the other hand the crown looks like that of a continental marquess but I'm not sure if it's really that of just a fancy element added to the coat of arms unless we are dealing with an emigrated marquess. You could browse this roll of early American arms to see if there's any match for either one.

https://www.americanheraldry.org/herald ... ican-arms/

Return to “Family Crests”