JAPANESE? CHINESE?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
l0rrainerramos

JAPANESE? CHINESE?

Post by l0rrainerramos »

Can anyone tell me what does there marks say?

Full piece:
AllSeasons

Re: JAPANESE? CHINESE?

Post by AllSeasons »

I believe this is Japanese, even though the characters are Chinese characters. The top character means long life. The three vertical characters below that on the left are likely the name of the maker, which sounds Japanese. The 2 vertical characters on the right can be translated into first rate, likely alluding to the quality. I cannot make out the little hallmark at the bottom.

What is odd about this piece is that the top character denoting long life is in simplified Chinese; whereas Japanese Kanji uses traditional Chinese characters. So if I'm guessing correctly, this is likely a more recent piece made in Japan for the Chinese market.

Hope this helps.
Ag999
contributor

Post by Ag999 »

What is the metal? Doesn't look like silver.
Ag999
contributor

Post by Ag999 »

PS - Oh, now I see the yellow on the bottom rim. Probably silver plated?
shikiamondo
contributor

Post by shikiamondo »

l0rrainerramos wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:09 pm Can anyone tell me what does there marks say?

Full piece:
Hi there,

It is Japanese.

The largest character engraved indeed means Longevity, which could also be a surname (Kotobuki), but in this case I believe it is more for expressing birthday wishes (usually to elderlies); Off-topic-Japan respects the elder population and they have an annual Elderly Day where the government would gift a commemorative silver sake cup to citizens who reach the age of 100.

The two rows of characters below are the names of a couple: Misako (female) on the left, and Ryoichi (male) on the right;
The smallest marks at the bottom is the maker's mark: 巧益造 (Takunori - made), possibly Showa period.

Kind regards.

Return to “Far East”