O.H. or C.H. Miller marks on bright cut cocktail forks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hpidaves

O.H. or C.H. Miller marks on bright cut cocktail forks

Post by hpidaves »

I'm not sure if these 5 bright cut cocktail forks are coin or plate. They are marked either "C.H. MILLER" or possibly "O.H. MILLER", which I cannot find anywhere. I don't see any plate loss and they do bend somewhat easily.

One of them has a slight variation in the pattern (send from the left in the second image). I assume these would have been hand engraved, so maybe just a different person engraved that one?

Thanks,
Dave

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: O.H. or C.H. Miller marks on bright cut cocktail forks

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi, on my phone and short on time, but will say that engraved patterns like this were common in the 1880s, various manufacturers often producing very similar designs with slight variations, and they were made in both sterling and silverplate. The motif on yours was often called 'Lily' - lacking a 'Sterling' mark, these are almost certainly silverplate, and my references aren't available, but if guessing, would think perhaps A.F. Towle or Towle Mfg., believe they both called the pattern 'No. 5'. Sorry, don't know the retailer, but it looks to me like 'C.H. Miller' rather than 'O.H.'...

~Cheryl
wev
contributor

Re: O.H. or C.H. Miller marks on bright cut cocktail forks

Post by wev »

Possibly Charles H. Miller of Wallingford CT, who worked as a jeweler and engraver c 1880.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”