Daniel and Arter Mystery Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
EddieJ

Daniel and Arter Mystery Spoon

Post by EddieJ »

Hello! my name is Eddie, I live in small town Ontario Canada and am an avid metal detectorist. Recently while out detecting I hit a target which turned out to be a wonderful little spoon!. After doing some research I was able to trace one of the markings (D&A) to Daniel and Arter, the spoon is small with a fiddle ended handle and three maple leafs adorning the tip of the handle. A search of D&A spoons online reveals not one match, nada!. To make my search even more difficult, a diamond shaped hallmark with a circle at 12 o’clock and a number 4 at 3 o’clock is present but this hallmark stamp does not show up on D&A searches except one thread I saw here but can’t recall who posted it and when. Maybe someone can assist me in solving this mystery surrounding this little spoon as I would love to be able to place a date on it. Those three maple leafs are a curiosity, they scream Canada yet the company was British, was it made as a special edition for the Canadian market? It would be nice to know.

Thank you! I will post images if I can.
EddieJ

Re: Daniel and Arter Mystery Spoon

Post by EddieJ »

EddieJ wrote:Hello! my name is Eddie, I live in small town Ontario Canada and am an avid metal detectorist. Recently while out detecting I hit a target which turned out to be a wonderful little spoon!. After doing some research I was able to trace one of the markings (D&A) to Daniel and Arter, the spoon is small with a fiddle ended handle and three maple leafs adorning the tip of the handle. A search of D&A spoons online reveals not one match, nada!. To make my search even more difficult, a diamond shaped hallmark with a circle containing the letter “I” at 12 o’clock and a number 4 directly under and another number 4 at 3 o’clock is present but this hallmark stamp does not show up on D&A searches except one thread I saw here but can’t recall who posted it and when. Maybe someone can assist me in solving this mystery surrounding this little spoon as I would love to be able to place a date on it. Those three maple leafs are a curiosity, they scream Canada yet the company was British, was it made as a special edition for the Canadian market? It would be nice to know.

Thank you! I will post images if I can.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Daniel and Arter Mystery Spoon

Post by dognose »

Hi Eddie,

Welcome to the Forum.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Ensure you have read:
Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Ensure your images are embedded. Do not post links. Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”