Silber & Fleming Display Board

Antique & vintage paperwork relating to the silver trade
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 52050
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Silber & Fleming Display Board

Postby dognose » Sat May 21, 2022 8:39 am

Here is a rare survivor, a Victorian jeweller's display board, measuring 21 5/8" (55cm) X 17" (43cm).

Image

Although no maker's name appears on the board, the trade mark, that was registered on the 22nd October 1880, clearly identifies the manufacturer as Silber & Fleming of 56, Wood Street, Cheapside, London EC.

Image

Image

The initials 'AMS' are those of sole proprietor of this business Albert Marcius Silber. The Wood Street premises of Silber & Fleming were destroyed by fire in December 1882 and rebuilt by 1884. They became a limited liability company in 1886 and were acquired in 1898 by Faudel Phillips & Sons in 1898.

Silber & Fleming extended their works over the years to include 56-61 and 71 Wood Street.

Faudel Phillips & Sons were known importers of Hanau made silver products, particularly those of Karl Kurz and J.D. Schleissner.

Albert Silber died on the 14th May 1887. Silber's demise was undoubtably a blow to the firm, as was the loss of another two important members of staff in 1894, H.E. Cooper and F. Stone left the employ of Silber & Fleming after twenty years of service to start their own business known as Cooper & Stone, Manufacturer's Agents & Warehousemen of 43, Jewin Street, London EC.

Some more detail from the rest of the board:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Trev.

Return to “Ephemera”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests