Russian Gold brooch

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
newbs

Russian Gold brooch

Post by newbs »

Hi,
this is my first post, please excuse my errors.
I'm looking for verification that the item in the photos is indeed 14 carat gold of russian origin and from 1899-1908 period.

I have been unable to identify the mark on the pin and am not sure of double strike. After turning it several ways it looks like a left looking head.

If you can shed any light, it would be appreciated.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Russian Gold brooch

Post by AG2012 »

Does not work !
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Note that Google is not a suitable photo host for this site.
https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images) and remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.
newbs

Post by newbs »

AG2012 wrote:Note that Google is not a suitable photo host for this site.
https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images) and remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.
Thanks, I was hoping to avoid the need to sign up to yet another site, sigh. I'll try postimages.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Everything is OK with this brooch; 14 K (583) or 65 zolotnik, most likely assayed in Moscow 1898 - 1914 by Ivan Lebedkin.
Maker`s mark cannot be deciphered.
Regards

newbs

Post by newbs »

Ok, third time lucky I hope.
newbs

Post by newbs »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Everything is OK with this brooch; 14 K (583) or 65 zolotnik, most likely assayed in Moscow 1898 - 1914 by Ivan Lebedkin.
Maker`s mark cannot be deciphered.
Regards

Thank you so much. Any idea what is stamped on the pin?
Excuse if these are silly questions, I was always told the only silly questions are those I don't ask. As I've never owned anything valuable before, I find myself on a steep learning curve.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Open this link and scroll down to Ivan Lebedkin.84 is for silver.
https://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_kokoshnik_01.html
56 is fineness, woman`s head and assayer`s initials IL (ИЛ).
Another woman`s head as a secondary mark on another part of the brooch,
The mark in the middle of the needle could be French import mark (the owl in an oval, partially struck, but cannot tell for sure).
In spite of being under French gold standard the owl is often found on imported gold pieces.
Regards
newbs

Post by newbs »

AG2012 wrote:Open this link and scroll down to Ivan Lebedkin.84 is for silver.
https://www.925-1000.com/Frussia_kokoshnik_01.html
56 is fineness, woman`s head and assayer`s initials IL (ИЛ).
Another woman`s head as a secondary mark on another part of the brooch,
The mark in the middle of the needle could be French import mark (the owl in an oval, partially struck, but cannot tell for sure).
In spite of being under French gold standard the owl is often found on imported gold pieces.
Regards
Many thanks!
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: Every single piece of gold (or silver) on the object was supposed to be properly hallmarked before the assembly of the object. :::: For instance I have a sugar bowl with four tiny feet and two handles and every single piece is hallmarked including the bottom of the bowl. :::: It seems like the pin part has a Russian hallmark on it which would have been stamped before the construction of the complete object :::: The more I look at the hallmark on the pin the more it looks Russian to my eyes ::::
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Most likely the pin is hollow (impossible to mark).Therefore,the mark is commonly seen on C clasp, even on the needle itself.
Regards
newbs

Post by newbs »

Having looked at the pin again from various angles, it now looks to me as if it is the Assayers mark again. Holding it vertical, it looks like the browridge, nose and chin of the mark seen on the hook.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”