Dognose Trev or Any British date mark experts that could help me with this flat top shield shape?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SnoodinOrange

Dognose Trev or Any British date mark experts that could help me with this flat top shield shape?

Post by SnoodinOrange »

Hello! I purchased a British aquamarine ring to wear as a memory of my grandparents - both of their birthstones were aquas, as was her engagement ring. : )

Unfortunately the assay mark was lost in a sizing who knows when but I thought perhaps I could still identify the date letter to know when it was made. I did not have any success finding a match to this shape of shield cartouche on any of the assay date letter pages, It is a capital U but instead of the curved top shield, the bottom is rounded, the top is flat and the corners are clipped. I wondered if perhaps this style of shield was used by only one assay office? In which case I could identify the date of my ring even without the assay stamp. Or perhaps many assay offices used this shape in which case I am out of luck but I thought I'd ask.

The maker's mark is a JP in a rectangle with a dot in the middle. So in researching this site, I wondered if it could be John Pittar or James Payne.
Then I found this other forum post where dognose / Trev commented on a variation of a Dublin cartouche but the pictures are no longer visible to compare against mine.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20454&p=47422&hili ... eld#p47422

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to figure out when my ring was made so I can make a note of it and pass it down some day. : )

(admin photo edit - please consider changing your photohost)

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”