Duchess Plate - is this a process or brand

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
T1nT1n

Duchess Plate - is this a process or brand

Post by T1nT1n »

I have a spoon - not sure if it is a true loop spoon or just had handle bent as it doesn’t sit well. Stamped with Duchess Plate - what looks like EPNS in a shield. Does anyone know anything about what timeframe this is from - assume 20th century and is it a brand from an individual maker or a process. Thanks in advance.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Duchess Plate - is this a process or brand

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Duchess Plate was a trade mark used by Bird & Blake, Sheffield, Great Britain,from 1892-1919.
Regards
T1nT1n

Post by T1nT1n »

Thanks for the reply - May be slightly older than I was thinking. Not convinced it isn’t a bent spoon rather than a loop spoon as such. Regards Grid
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Grid,

There is an example with the same marking illustrated in 'Spoons' by Gail Belden and Michael Snodin, so it appears to be original.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

'Duchess Plate' also appears to be a trade name used in Canada by Roden Brothers:

Roden Bros. - Toronto - 1923

Trev.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

I recently saw a “Duchess Plate” spoon on my local market bric-a-brac stall. I did not buy it, thinking, it was a well-identified trademark and kept burrowing through the box for something more interesting. When I got back home I had a quick check on line to confirm my thoughts on “Duchess Plate”. It appears I was incorrect. The “silvercollection.it” has the reference linking “Duchess” and “Bird&Blake” of Sheffield but no image. That particular entry mirrors the information in the superb Canadian PDF “tome” “Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware”. However the Canadians also had sources, 2 references, and possibly this is where the 1882 – 1919 dates stem from that have indicated the activity period of “Bird&Blake”. The 2 reference papers quoted were I believe published in 1882 and 1919.
Now on looking around, it seems there are literally tons of “Duchess Plate” cutlery, to be found and “Bird&Blake” or some other concerns must have been producing electroplated ware before and after those dates suggested. What we need is bit more information but some of the usual “Sheffield “ cutlery sources do not mention “Bird&Blake” at all. I went back to the market bric-a-brac stall at the next opportunity and burrowed in the box again and found a “Duchess Plate” teaspoon. Its marks are shown in my photo below.

It looks more like “DuchessO Plate. Interestingly I had a look around on line and I found a “Duchess M Plate” spoon. These spoons should be from the same company. They both have a weight (presumably of silver used in plating) on to indicate a particular method of plating.
I do not think we have the complete situation for the makers of “Duchess Plate” yet. Underlining my dating doubts and possibly also “Grid’s” feeling relating to his spoon’s age, we have an image of a “Duchess Plate” spoon, typically in Art Deco style from a fruit server set.

I have a couple more images to show, although I am sorry to say the next is of poor quality but illustrates Roden Brothers “Duchess Plate” trademark.

The last image, although not exactly the same “Duchess Plate” is hopefully a bit more thought provoking for Forum silver plate fans.

I am sure by time I get back from holiday there will be a few more leads from the Forum for “Duchess Silver”.
Fishless
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Another example of the use of the name 'DUCHESS':

This one by R.T & Co. Ltd.

Trev.
CountryGirl

Post by CountryGirl »

"(The last image, although not exactly the same “Duchess Plate” is hopefully a bit more thought provoking for Forum silver plate fans.)"

I have a dish that says “1891, Duchess plate, EP, NS”…it has the triangle with the “R” in it! Where can I find more info (please and thank you!)?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images of your item and the marks.

Trev.
Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, as often happens when I am researching for one thing, I find clues that relate to something totally different. I now have a bit of information to answer questions not fully explained earlier in this post. It was noted that "Bird & Blake", the owner of the Duchess trademark did not appear to have been in business in the style period of some of the spoons pictured in this post. Bird & Blake dissolved 1904 but then Edward Bird formed “Bird & Co” with a new partner, but the firm was later "bought by" Ryalls, Turner & Co. Note the R.T & Co. Ltd. spoon image posted by "Dognose". Edward Bird died in 1916 and "Duchess" later came to a Sheffield company "Mottershaw & Rowe". The "Rowe" a "G.F" had formally been a partner in Bird & Co. Mottershaw & Rowe ceased trading in the 1980s, likely explaining the later styled cutlery with the "Duchess" trademark on.

The Hawleysheffieldknives "name on a knife blade" website has a lot more information on the interrelated companies who used the trademark.

Fishless

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”