Four feather-edge table spoons 1759 or 1769?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Granmaa
co-admin

Four feather-edge table spoons 1759 or 1769?

Post by Granmaa »

Here are four beautiful table/serving spoons (23cm) with feathered edges. I have two questions: is the date letter the D of 1759 or the O of 1769, and does anyone have any informatin at all on TE over GS? Jackson lists this maker as unidentified (p.210) and puts his mark at c.1763-64.
I've included two of the hallmarks which show most of the letter betwen them.

Miles

georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Thomas Evans and George Smith worked out of London briefly but I cannot remember the period....The date letter is more likely to be the 'D' judging by the shape of the bottom of it. Best wishes, Mike.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Thankyou for that Mike; I checked up on these names and you were right: there isn't much information as it seems they were quite a rare partnership. The two pieces I have seen were both spoons and dated as c.1765 and c.1770 which hints at the 1769 date for my spoons. However, I will continue to search and eagerly await any additions to this post.

Miles
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

I recently read an article in "The Finial" which describes two serving spoons with feathered edges with the maker's mark TE over GS, exactly like mine! The date he gives is 1769 and he suggests that the partnership could be George Smith II and Thomas Eaton. The list of back issues is added to a website periodically, so I shall be eager to see what replies this article gets next month.

The article is at the bottom of the page.
http://www.bexfield.co.uk/thefinial/v14-04/pg08.htm
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

It took me over three and a half years of research to establish that Thomas Evans and George Smith had worked together as a partnership for just over 3 years and as I have one of what I believe is one of their spoons, I feel duty bound to go with them as the makers.....however, I have always been ready to learn anything new about silver of that period so watch that space...perhaps you could keep us informed of any replies. Best wishes, Mike.

Return to “London Hallmarks”