Need Help on Maker ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dwentzel228

Need Help on Maker ID

Post by dwentzel228 »

I have been able to determine that this Snuff/ Peppermint box was made in 1856, .833 fineness and assayed in Schoonhoven Holland. I have not been able to determine the maker of this box and figured this would be the best place to find out. I feel lucky yo have found this in an antique shop in CT, I understand old Dutch Silver Snuff boxes are becoming more difficult to find.

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Need Help on Maker ID

Post by Qrt.S »

Very worn and smudgy marks but 1856 (W) it is. I'll give you my best shot: Adrianus Nobel in Schoonhoven 1852-1864. However, my personal opinion only.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum.

Your makers’ mark;
Date letter W for; 1856. I would like to see the Minerva head with the regional assay office letter and an image of the complete item. If for Schoonhoven, looking at both images of the smudged mark, the space between the 2 letters and the shape of the letters, only the mark of Jacobs van Dam (Op den Dam); AD above 81 is a match.
Jacobus van Dam known for peppermint boxes and small silverwork started as silversmith in 1849 till 1888 and died in 1889.

Hi Qrt.S,

The mark of Adrianus Nobel does not match and not known for making any boxes.

Oel.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hello Oel,

Mind me, It was my best shot only. Anyway, for obvious reasons I rather not argue with you, but your answer makes me a bit wonder where do you see a D? Moreover, the figures look more as 98 than 81. Maybe he made one box, who knows ? :-)))))).
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Qrt.S,

Arguments keep us sharp and make us dig deeper and may change our opinion.
Image Image
If we observe the mark of Adrianus Nobel, shown in Netherlands’ Responsibility marks from 1797; no serifs, notice the space between A N and if we observe the mark of Jacobus van Dam; the A has one ‘fat’ leg and D with serifs.
We have to remember the silversmith used a worn smudged makers’ mark. Could it be that Adrianus Nobel also used a maker’s mark with serifs? Yes, turned out he did and not recorded in Netherlands’ Responsibility marks from 1797;
Finally some silver books are contradictory about the work of Adrianus Nobel and it his master’s mark has been seen on; lodderein box and pillbox.
I believe we can say we have enough prove that it is the maker’s mark of Adrianus Nobel. Lucky good shot Qrt.S!

Oel.
dwentzel228

Post by dwentzel228 »

Wow you guys are good. I knew it was a A something but just could not figure it out with my limited resources of Dutch hallmarks database. Thanks to all of you. Here are some other pics admin edit.

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Excellent, now we have a common view on who the master is. By the way dear Oel, I was a sniper in the army :-)))))

Return to “Dutch Silver”