Unknown Maker's mark, 1909(?) Chester inkwell

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GMerry

Unknown Maker's mark, 1909(?) Chester inkwell

Post by GMerry »

Hi

I have an inkwell and I can't identify the maker's mark. From what I can gather the date mark is 1909. Can anyone help, please? Sorry for 3 pics but the hallmark is in 2 different places.

Inside lid

on base - I just can't identify the maker's mark

item

Thanks

G
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unknown Maker's mark, 1909(?) Chester inkwell

Post by dognose »

Hi G,

Martin, Hall & Co.Ltd. (Richard Martin and Ebenezer Hall), Shrewsbury Works, Sheffield. They were registered at Sheffield, London and Chester.

The date is as you suspected, 1909.

There is no limit to the amount of images that you can use.

Trev.
GMerry

Post by GMerry »

Wonderful! Thank you very much for all your help.

G
Tone

Post by Tone »

Hi G
Just been looking at your photos. Could you take a close up of the hallmark on the base please, especially showing the style of letter ' i '. My reason for asking is that I am wondering if the age of the lid might be older than suggested. Whilst it is true that the letter ' i ' inside the lozenge shield shown in your pic denotes 1909 as its possible year, I would like to throw open a debate by suggesting the lid could be 1734 in date. My reference book from 1959, ( compiled by Frederick Bradbury FSA ) shows the style of letter ' i' corresponding as I said with date 1734. The letter style for '1909 ' i ' is different. If you liken the letter to actually looking more like our modern day letter g for want of a better explanation, the 1734 letter in my book, has a little tail extending beyond the top of the letter and 1909 does not. As I say it is my thoughts and am not saying that I am correct in my assumption. If I am wrong, is their a definitive chart that one should follow for shape letters?

Tone
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

Tone

I fear there is no point in debating the possibility of 1734. The object itself can be dated on form to late 19th/early 20th century. In any case, if you look at the full set of marks for 1734 you will note the different town mark and crowned leopard's head.

David
Tone

Post by Tone »

Hi David...thanks for that and see what you mean...one question, why would there not be a full set of marks on the lid as well?...

Thanks

Tone
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

In the case of composite objects such as those with hinged lids it was standard practice to apply a full set of marks to the main body of the item but only partial marks, sufficient to confirm the silver standard, to the attached parts.
Tone

Post by Tone »

Thanks for educating me with that fact David.

Tone

Return to “Chester Hallmarks”