THOMAS DE LA RUE & Co.Ltd.Crown Street, Finsbury, later, 110, Bunhill Row, London
Thomas De La Rue established his business in 1813, he was later joined in partnership by Thomas Hartree Cornish and William Frederick Rock. Following the death of Thomas De La Rue on the 7th June 1866, the firm was continued by his sons, Warren De La Rue and Frederick De La Rue. The business was converted into a limited liability company in 1897.
Onoto Pen - 1908
As far as the pen side of their business is concerned, they produced reservoir pens under the trade names, 'Pelican', 'Swift' and 'Orb', and a stylograph under the name of 'Nota Bene'. However, their great success came in 1905, when, after taking up the patent of George Sweetser, they launched the 'Onoto' pen.
Onoto Pen Co. - New York - 1910
Although originally manufactured in London, Onoto pen manufacture was transferred to Strathendry, Fife, Scotland in 1927 and continued there until 1958, when production ceased. The brand name has now been revived under new ownership.
Thomas De La Rue & Co.Ltd. - New York - 1921
Thomas De La Rue entered a succession of marks with the London Assay Office starting as from 1878. Although there is variance in the marks, they basically were all 'T D L R', either incuse or contained within separate squares. In 1904 the company entered new marks 'D L R Ld', again contained within separate squares. Similar marks were also entered with the Chester Assay Office.