English Tea Set Hallmark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
lizlaughlin

English Tea Set Hallmark

Post by lizlaughlin »

I am hoping to find the manufacturer of my tea set. I could not get a good image of the set itself, but I found the same hallmark on a set of entree dishes online. Anyone know the manufacturer?

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

The hallmark is the last image in the set. Thanks!
oel
co-admin

Re: English Tea Set Hallmark

Post by oel »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.
Images are required!
How to Add Images
Posting Requirements

Please check quality of image by using preview button before submit.
Embedded images are getting a far better response

Oel.
lizlaughlin

Post by lizlaughlin »

Here is the image of the hallmark

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

A similar mark has been identified on another site as Abram Brooksbank & Co of Sheffield.
lizlaughlin

Post by lizlaughlin »

It could be them I suppose, the marks are very similar. However after looking into that company a bit it seems they most produced cutlery and knives. I haven't found any evidence that they produced tea sets or entree plates.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

1907 Australian and Canadian trademark registries for Brooksbank:

~Cheryl
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello I think I have some images (and an idea) to go with this post. First we have some other examples of the cannon associated with the electroplating company of Abram Brooksbank & Co.

The label is on the box that contained some forks carrying the shown set of manufacturers marks. We have the “cannon” with the underwritten “Defiance” as described in the material posted by “Dragonflywink”. The finial mark shows the gothic style “ABS” is as found on the web site referenced by “silvermakersmarks”. The “A” and “B” are self-explanatory and convention suggests the “S” indicates Sheffield as the home of the company. The forks are made in “BP”, Britannia Plate. “Lizlaughlin’s” item was likely newer than the forks as the “Made in England” is present.
Earlier on the post “Lizlaughlin” said she was worried that Abram Brooksbank & Co were only cutlery manufacturers but this below mark was present on a teapot.

Now we come to my new if not very insightful idea. The address shown for Abram Brooksbank & Co, on the web and in the“ Dragonflywink” material is “Malinda Works” on Malinda Street. As we know, a common occurrence with these electroplating companies is the name of the “Works” becoming the trademark or the “Trademark” becoming the works name. I wonder who would make “Malinda Silver”? Abram Brooksbank & Co perhaps?

I think the “B & Co” in the photo is “Brooksbank & Co” and this mark is not currently shown in the usual reference sites. I believe the pictorial mark between the “Co” and the “S” is a rose and Sheffield is in the “white rose” English county.
“Buxton & Co” of Sheffield are referenced as having the “B&Co” mark. Buxton & Co were only active for less than 10 years in the 1860’s so it is possible items may have been miss attributed.
Comments from the forum please?

Fishless
Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, I am posting another clear example of the "Defiance" mark and adding back some of the images lost from my earlier response. Also there is an image from the Canadian PDF "Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware" by "Eileen Woodward", concerning Abram Brooksbank. This suggests there was an additional trademark, pictorial and written of "Nugget"

Fishless
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An advertisement from an Australian journal for Abram Brooksbank & Co. from 1912:

Abram Brooksbank & Co. - Sheffield - 1912

Trev.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”