What-is-it question.CLXX.

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
dognose
Site Admin

What-is-it question.CLXX.

Postby dognose » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:36 am

You sometimes see these items being sold as for another use, but what was the original use they were intended for?

Trev.

silverport
contributor

Lemon squeezer 16/500

Postby silverport » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Hello

Now more then 26 year ago I could buy only the needle, on which were also punched the D.R.P. number — but the other part was lost. I’ve made then after some research on this “tool”. The here shown lemon squeeze was invented by Mrs. Melitta Wolf (?) from Wiesbaden Germany. I don’t remember any more precisely her family name and address.

Lemon squeezer is shown in Henniger & Co. Leipzig whole sale catalogue »Versilberte Metallwaren« (Plated Metal Ware) from 1911, page 9 — the price per piece for the plated polished version was German Goldmark 1.50. But it looks like that she has sell her patent to an other German plated hollowware producer, who by Henniger has got as internal code the nr. 16.

Kind regards silverport

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:25 am

Well done Silverport!

Nowadays when these pieces come up for sale, they are usually described as 'corn on the cob' holders, but you are correct of course, they are lemon squeezers.

The above detail is from 1908.

Trev.

silverport
contributor

Lemon squeezer - German Patent Nr. 195614

Postby silverport » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Hello

It could be helpful to understand the circumstances of market. So I like to give here some translations from the above introduced German text.

The German Patent Nr. 195614 is one of early patents — actually I don’t know details of dates of solicitation and given protection. It could be happen before 1905.

The need of this kind of server was already known by other competitors — I hope to could find picture of these 3 others, actually I remember. Two of them were solved in an especially very curious manner.

I self have made 45 year ago during my studies a design of a yet not produced squeezer — to be made from stainless steel.

The here shown squeezer’s whole sellers price was (1911) of 1.50 Mark each (today of about €/$ 7.50). Usual were at least a set of 6 units — for hotel and restaurant even many more (some clients finger’s got very stick from use of them).

First Picture:

German Empire Patent / Nr. 195614 (Eagle = Sign of German Empire) Foreign Patents in all / States of Culture.

Lemon squeezer / »Famos« (»Famous«)

Made in Solid Silver and / Silver (Electro) Plated

New!
Handy!
Cheap!
Hygienic!

Applicable for garnish of meat, fish and other garnished / dishes, for tea time, lemon drinks etc.

Important for every Jewellery.

Could be get from all Whole Seller.

Second Picture:

Lemon Squeezer »Famos« (D.R.P. 195614). If you remember, with which refinement are modern culinary table be served; how it’s hold in mind, through integration of aesthetic principles in presentation, to stimulate in refined manner the appetite; and who every dinner partner is engaged, to harmonize the whole by the elegance in his table manners. So it’s curious, that a necessary evil, like to squeeze a lemon slice by direct use of fingers, remained so long unsolved. How often have little things already a negative effect on a good atmosphere of dinning. The lemon slices were very often in such a manner presented, that it is impossible, to take slices with out spoiling hands; then after spoil napkins remarkable and spray lemon juice. The recently in commerce introduced, patented Lemon Squeezer »Famos« (»Famous«) solves now these deplorable states of dinning by miraculous simple and an ingenious manner: By put on the middle pin (a lemons section; well in the kitchen, before served), which is combined with two lateral, wing like parts; by press these lateral wings the lemon section would be squeezed; and the juice run down in dose able drops the middle pin to every desired place of dish. The Lemon Squeezer »Famos« was enthusiastically welcome by the public and has an important signification for Hotels, Restaurants, as well for a refined private table, to exalt the elegance of cutlery by a cheap invest. By the way, through take advantages of a rational use of lemon segments, by this squeezer, is possible getting savings in needed amount of lemons by could make more rational segments as before were usual. This article is available by all whole seller and is especially for every Jeweller a worthwhile sales object. Also been already introduced by our past report and followed by a good market response, we like again, not to leave unsaid our recommendations on it.

Kind regards silverport

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi Silverport,

Many thanks for the explanation.

Regards Trev.

silverport
contributor

Lemon squeezer invented by Mrs. Centa Doll, born Beland

Postby silverport » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:52 pm

Hello

I must correct my information on inventor, from 19 March 2010.

Had remember wrong: »The here shown lemon squeeze was invented by Mrs. Melitta Wolf (?) from Wiesbaden Germany.«

Today from a Patent Research Office in Germany I've got the correct name of inventor and date: »Das damalige Deutsche Reichspatent (D.R.P.) mit der Nummer 195614 wurde von Centa Doll geb. Beland, damals wohnhaft in Darmstadt, angemeldet und wurde am 10.Juli 1907 erteilt.«

Translation: »The former German Empire Patent (D.R.P.) with number 195614 was from Centa Doll, born Beland, then living in Darmstadt, enrolled and was on 10 July 1907 confirmed.«

Kind regards silverport

silverport
contributor

DRP 195614 published in »Patentblatt« from 21 Feb. 1908

Postby silverport » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Hello

In »Patentblatt« (Patent Journal) from 21 February 1908 was the confirmation for Patent Nr. 195614 being published.

Kind regards silverport

dognose
Site Admin

Re: What-is-it question.CLXX.

Postby dognose » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:12 pm

A couple of images of a similar, unmarked example:

Trev.

Return to “Mystery Objects”