Spoon Hallmark ID assist

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joehast

Spoon Hallmark ID assist

Post by joehast »

I've searched for hours trying to ID this mark. It seems that I have seen the boat mark in the past somewhere. Can anyone tell me about this Spoon.? your help is appreciated.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac31 ... /Spoon.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac31 ... poonHM.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
silverly

Post by silverly »

Your images look like they're probably going to need resizing. Take a look at this reference that is on this site.

In general when you say boat, Helsinki is the first thing that comes to mind for me. Maybe that is what you were thinking of, but it's not that in this case.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Sorry I forgot to paste the reference. http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_D.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joehast

Deykin &................?

Post by joehast »

Not sure if Sons or Harrison.

Also there is an "A" stamp at the beginning. Is this a date code, if so what date.?
Thanks.. Joe
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

It's Deykin & Harrison (William R. Deykin and Walter A. Harrison).

I doubt the 'A' has any significance other than, maybe, to suggest first quality.

Trev.
joehast

Deykin &...?

Post by joehast »

Does anyone know if this is Coin, plate, or.925..?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

It's silverplated.

Trev.
joehast

Spoon Hallmark ID assist

Post by joehast »

Thanks Trev
I12spoon

Re: Spoon Hallmark ID assist

Post by I12spoon »

Glad to find your webpage and forum. it has been quite an education! In regards to some of the Deykin and Sons questions, This Spoon/shell pictured here might help. The Mark Contains the words "Deykin & Sons" and Birmingham in an oval-shaped ring around the words "PRUSSIAN SILVER" On the left side of the oval is a circle with a right facing gondola. On the right side is a circle with a block capital "A". Based on the Birmingham Date codes on your website, this would be the year code for 1849, assuming they would use the same codes for their silverplate.
Here ,hopefully are the pictures:

Thanks again for all your info, hope this helps some.
Jim
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for posting the images. But, no, that's not a date letter, just a quality indicator. The silverplate industry was pretty much unregulated, and although a few firms did use their own dating systems, Deykins was not one of them.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

1876 and '81 ads stating, 'The New Metal ("Prussian Silver") Spoons and Forks are unequalled for appearance and durability, and are warranted to keep their colour.'

~Cheryl
Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, I came to this old post after finding an image of a crisply marked electroplated spoon manufactured by Deykin & Sons. Sadly, the images in this post have been lost so these images may be of use here. There are other posts relating to Deykins on our Forum, touching on both hallmarked silver and plated ware.

In this first image we see the "D&S" and that "gondola" boat mark that is so common in "Deykin" (Deykin & Sons, Deykin & Harrison) trademarking. What struck me was the "PS" mark where you often see "EP", "BP", "GS" or even "NS". We recognise "Electroplated", "Britannia Plate", "German Silver" and "Nickel Silver" as methods or materials for manufacturing plated cutlery but what about "PS". It could be "plated silver" but, remembering the Deykin & Sons trade name "Prussian Silver" mentioned earlier in this post I think the "PS" indicates the spoon was made in “Prussian Silver”.
Here is another Prussian Silver image, possibly a similar mark to that already referenced by "I12spoon" earlier in this post.

It would be interesting to know with what quantities and of what metals the alloy Prussian Silver was made, as we could well be wondering if this was just German Silver under another name?

Here are some Deykin & Harrison marks showing their "Venetian Silver" trademark and the pictorial gondola mark.

Deykin & Sons were at Jennens Row, Birmingham and apparently at a "Venetian Works" (hence gondola mark?). They were producing plated cutlery from the mid 1850s but that written trademark "Venetian Silver" appears more associated with the later Deykin & Harrison concern who formed in the1890s and not with the earlier Deykin & Sons. You may wonder why I say “apparently” at a "Venetian Works". I checked up to 10 Commercial Directories from 1829-1912 and none gave the address of “Venetian Works”. They all said the address was Jennens Row with the earlier references giving 6 Jennens Row while much later references gave 1 to 6 Jennens Row. Obviously, an expanding company and a changing company. Before the mid 1850s when in the guise of “James & Wm. Henry Deykin” there was a gilt, plated and pearl button making company at 6 Jennens Row. By the time of the publishing of the 1858 General & Commercial Directory of Birmingham 2 businesses were listed at 6 Jennens Row:

......................James and Wm. Deykin, plated button mkrs,

.......................Deykin and Sons, mfrs of electro-plated German Silver spoons

Regarding “Venetian Works” I did find one primary reference in a British pattern registration record for Deykin & Sons, dated 1879 for that name. It would be interesting to know what address was on the 2 lost adverts 1876 and 81 posted by “dragonflywink” in her reply in this post.

Fishless

I have a few more directory references for "Deykin", but I will show them elsewhere on the Forum a bit later.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”