JG Hallmark identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Bordiss

JG Hallmark identification

Post by Bordiss »

Good morning, and let me start with a hearty THANKS! to all of you who will read and / or respond to this.

I have recently purchased a set of sterling (marked) cufflinks, and I am trying to identify the maker. Ive have exhaused my resources, and was wondering if you guys could ID it, or point me in the right direction?

Any help would be appreciated.

http://tinyurl.com/yb2rjv5
http://tinyurl.com/yeszz5c

Thanks again, and if I posted in the wrong place, I apologize in advance. Noob here.

PS- I hope the photos work, if not I'll try another way when I get home tonight
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello and welcome. Your pictures are fine.

Your mark is very similar to one used by John Giovannetti of New York City.
Can't say for sure it is his mark, just offering a possibility.
The JC-K 1950 in the scan below indicates his mark was listed in the 1950 edition of the trade journal " Jeweler's Circular-Keystone".

Pat.
Bordiss

close

Post by Bordiss »

Yes, that does look very close. The left 'letter' doesnt seem too well defined, nor to show any signs that it might have a missing line in to the right though...

It amazes me how anyone can ID these things to begin with. lol There are SO MANY marks and seemingly so little reference material.

Thanks for the reply!
Mike Cain
pgiovannetti

Re: JG Hallmark identification

Post by pgiovannetti »

Mike,

The New York jeweler, John Giovannetti, was my father. The mark which the other gentleman posted was my father's trademark.

Ky father's career as a jeweler began in the 1920s and ended with his death in 1952. Marks, such as my father's, were hand stuck into pieces. I have very little of his work but the mark was not always struck uniform.

Enjoy your cufflinks.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Paul Giovannetti

Return to “American Jewelry”