In 1835 a Parliamentry Report was published reviewing the results found by a Select Committee that was appointed to 'Inquire into the nature, character, extent and tendency of Orange Lodges, Associations or Societies in Ireland.' The Report casts a little light on the type of business operated by two of the firms mentioned in the above Directory, by means of quoted advertisments.
Roman Catholic Plate Establishment; William Coinan, goldsmith and jeweller, No. 19, Skinner-row, respectfully informs the Catholic clergy and the public in general, that he is as usual supplied with the following articles, viz., chalices, remonstrances, thurables, altar cruets and oil stocks; pixes, and a variety of candlesticks suitable for the altar, &c.; with every other article in the silver plated and jewellery line, which he shall dispose of on the most reasonable terms; he also wishes to inform the reverend clergymen that he has been authorized by the most Rev. Dr. Murray and Dr. Doyle to repair and handle consecrated articles.
Chapel Plate and Plated Ware Establishment; William Mooney, manufacturing silversmith and jeweller, (successor to Mr. John Kavanagh,) 32 Capel-street, with gratitude for past favours, begs to apprize the Bishops and Clergy that he has always ready manufactured for their particular use an extensive supply, both of silver and plated Catholic utensils, which he pledges himself to dispose of for very moderate profit,, and to keep no article but of the very best manufacture. W. M. is authorized to handle any article that may require repair or alteration.
William Coinan is no doubt to be identified with Michael Cainen of the same address, perhaps a son. An indication, perhaps, that that William had taken over his father's business at some time during the three year gap between the pubication of the Directory in 1832 and the Parliamentry Report in 1835.
William Mooney, as can be seen, has taken over the business of John Kavanagh. Kavannagh was a very long established goldsmith and jeweller, known to have been working out of 32, Capel Street since 1783. He entered his mark at the Dublin Assay Office in 1784.