C.W. FLETCHER & SONS Ltd.Sterling Works, Bramall Lane, Sterling Works, Arundel Street, Sheffield. 103, Vyse Street, Birmingham. Marshall and Beak Streets, London
C.W. Fletcher & Sons Ltd. - Sheffield - 1946
Established by Charles William Fletcher in 1891. They converted into a limited liability company in c.1907. Also in 1907 Fletchers acquired the London silversmiths, Brewis & Co..
C.W. Fletcher & Sons Ltd. were noted as exhibitors at the British Industries Fair of 1922, where they were described as 'Manufacturers of Silver and Electro Plate Challenge Trophies, Table Ware, Britannia Metal Ware, Canteens, Spoons, Forks, Stainless Cutlery, Pocket Fruit Knives.'
Charles William Fletcher died in 1932, aged 66 years.
An example of the work of Charles William Fletcher, a folding fruit knife assayed at Sheffield in 1907:
Charles William Fletcher registered his mark 'C.W.F' contained within an oblong punch with rounded ends, with the Sheffield Assay Office on the 8th May 1894.
The company also registered their marks with the London Assay Office, no doubt for their output from the old Brewis & Co. workshops. The marks 'C.W.F' and 'CWF' , both in oblong punches with rounded ends, were entered on the 12th May 1912 and the 11th December 1914.
Example of the London marks:
CWF - London - 1919
The company were still making flatware until at least the 1980's, with most of their output being sold through the New York firm of James Robinson Inc.
The company are still in business today. Their address is C.W.Fletcher & Sons Limited, Sterling Works, Mansfield Road, Wales Bar, Sheffield, S26 5PQ