Help with a Puritan Spoon?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sheshe

Help with a Puritan Spoon?

Post by sheshe »

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with dating and/or identifying the maker of this spoon. No marks in the bowl and stamped "925" "1000" "D" on the stem. This is a bit out of my area so any help would be greatly appreciated. It was found with a group of silver in a William and Mary cabinet, at least one piece of which I've identified as a sterling George III fork w/a London stamp of 1789, if that helps at all. If I have placed this post in the wrong category I do apologize.

agphile
contributor

Re: Help with a Puritan Spoon?

Post by agphile »

Well, although reminiscent of a 17th century puritan style spoon, it is not that. Wrong bowl shape and wrong junction between stem and bowl. The marks (not British) are modern and I guess the spoon is too, but I'm afraid that is as much as I can offer.
sheshe

Post by sheshe »

Yes, I realized that the stamp seemed an anachronism given the style of the spoon. It had me confused. Thanks for your response.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Sheshe,

I agree with agphile. To me, this looks like the sort of pieces that are sold in museum shops as replicas of items that they have of exhibits on display.

I'll move your post to the American forum to see if we have any joy there.

Trev.
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

The style is anachronistic for New England or NY, maybe it is a copy of something more southern... I am getting a slightly Spanish "vibe" but the whole piece looks uncomfortable.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The first time I saw this mark was many years ago, on a somewhat loose reproduction of the English 'Pudsey Spoon', can be found advertised in several American catalogs from the first decade of the 20th century. There's been discussion of the marks and the items bearing them, on another forum for well over a decade, with numerous examples offered, as well as catalog pages showing them - personally have run across them in catalogs and advertisements from 1901 to 1917, the earlier pages showing several different pieces, petering down to only a few in later publications. A number were 'Arts & Crafts' type designs, and some were fanciful versions of 'Early American' pieces, they were hand-made, but the execution isn't what most would consider top-notch. Several sizes of the spoon shown here are found in a 1901 Daniel Low catalog, described as, "hand made facsimilies of the work of the early silversmiths and are so finished as to have every appearance of a very old piece of silver." In addition to showing up in catalogs and ads, they're also are found with additional stamps from a number of different retailers - the manufacturer isn't known, but some similarities in design, as well as in some marks, suggest there may be a connection to the Merrill Shops.

~Cheryl
sheshe

Post by sheshe »

Thank you all very much!

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”