JB sole mark on mustard spoon

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

JB sole mark on mustard spoon

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello. I would like to know if any one could give me speculations regarding my “J.B” marked possible small mustard spoon. The spoon is about 6 centimetres long and a composite picture should be below.
My hope was that this is an early silver spoon lacking hallmarks except the makers mark. A second thought tells me that early “J’s” did not exist and were “I’s” so that this “J.B” may be a later makers mark. I do know that spoons “travel” but it was bought by me in the North of England. The silversmith, John Batt of Sheffield’s 19th/20th century mark appears to be a match. If this was part of a condiment set should not at least the lion passant have been stamped instead of the makers mark? I believe the spoon is silver and not silver plate but look forward to any comments.
Image https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RFOn ... .spoon.jpg
Thank you
Fishless
MCB

Re: JB sole mark on mustard spoon

Post by MCB »

Hello
Even if part of a condiment set there should be a full set of marks on the spoon if it was sold as silver.
Despite there being very many marks registered as JB I can find only two in the same format as the one here, John Batt of Sheffield as you say and Jay Brothers of Birmingham who were listed around 1877 as wholesale jewellers and factors.There may, of course, be others.
Allowing for the fact that rectangular marks (the number of these is too many to mention) can be distorted by wear or other causes into appearing as an oval John Batt would be my choice as a "probable".

Mike
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: JB sole mark on mustard spoon

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Thanks for replying Mike. Particularly in suggesting my thinking could be correct rgarding the maker. Perhaps you have got to think you will not always find all the marks you expect on some silver items , even one only around 100 years old.
Fishless

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”