Help to ID Danish makers mark please ....

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
LindaP

Help to ID Danish makers mark please ....

Post by LindaP »

Spoon is dated 1950 with Danish 3 Towers stamp and assayed by Jens Sigsgaard. Hammered bowl, possibly hand made but I have never seen the maker's mark before. Help would be much appreciated.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1116981932 ... /SilverID#

(admin photo edit - remember to use the preview button)
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Help to ID Danish makers mark please ....

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello I don’t know if you have found any answers for your query yet but I can offer some ideas. I myself just bought my first Danish spoon and had to do a bit of research to identify the marks. I looked at your images and although the marks are a bit small the spoon does have some similarities to the one I have. I haven’t made any photos of it yet so I currently have none to list. I note the intertwined “S” and “J” mark that you suggest is “Jens Sigsgaard”. This Forum’s web site suggests there can be confusion with the Assay Master “Johannes Siggaard” “S” and “J” mark and the former silversmith. This could mean you are looking for another silversmith. My spoon from 1945 has a stylised intertwined “H” and”S” for the silver smiths “W. & S. Sorensen Horsens”. Your mark could be this and a couple of examples are shown in the web sites Danish hallmarks section. Do you know anything about the picture finial of your spoon? “W. & S. Sorensen Horsens made a series of silver figural spoons based on Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tales and I believe my spoon is one of these and your spoon appears of an identical design to mine.
I found your topic while doing a bit more reseach for my spoon. Hope my ideas help you with your spoon identification.
Fishless
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Took some photos of my spoon. Ignored the Copenhagan mark as it was not next to the other marks. I think the stylised intertwined mark may be like on your spoon. I think this is the mark for “W. & S. Sorensen Horsens”.
Image https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-oi67 ... t+comp.jpg
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

I never click on links - so I have read the question but not seen Picture. I never click on links. Same attitude with other members.
However today I did click.
The mark is guardein mark mark.

Makers ark in a Square is not visible for me. Better Picture needed start by cleaning the mark. When its clean take a better Picture and post it online in 925-1000.....
DeeTSB

Post by DeeTSB »

Thanks Essexboy Fisher for the information you provided, as this was a help to me as well. My spoon is identical to yours and I've been trying to find more information about it. I would like to identify which Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale the figure on our spoons represents. Do you know?
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Hello DeeTSB. My picture finial has the components to represent "The Swineherd" but that is a guess.
Fishless
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ welcome to the forums. As mentioned, your picture is too small to make out the marks, but the pattern is Horsens' Hans Christian Andersen children's series, introduced in 1935 - your spoon is The Emperor's New Clothes, Essexboy's is The Swineherd. The 'HS' mark is Horsens Sølvvarefabrik, founded in 1904 by brothers Winter and Sofus Sorensen, marks with their initials or initials and last name were also used; the correct name of the 'JS' assay-master would be Johannes Siggaard.

~Cheryl
DeeTSB

Post by DeeTSB »

Thanks to Essexboy Fisher and dragonflywink for sharing your knowledge. You have answered so many of my questions.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”