Hawksley Makin mark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Hawksley Makin mark

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello this is my first posting though I’ve made good use of silver 925-1000 before. Hopefully, uploaded, is a set of marks that are on an electroplated fiddle pattern teaspoon that I am only able to guess at a maker for.

On an other internet site I have seen a similar but non identical set of marks ascribed to “George Hawksley & Co” of Sheffield who were taken over by E.J.Makin in 1866/7. I have assumed that the last mark on my top row is a pseudo crown mark and is evidence that the spoon was made before 1896. A thread in the current forum gives information that Makin kept G.H.& Co as a Trade Mark. Is this a Makin spoon from an early period? Are there any views in the forum to put me right or confirm my thoughts. Also does Joseph Makin the old Sheffield plater come onto the history? It seems this earlier Sheffield plater used a similar style “crown” in his mark.

Image.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--ZCr ... y%26Co.jpg
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Hawksley Makin mark

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I've seen that mark or similar attributed to George Hawksley & Co. in the past, and have not found any reason to doubt it.

Many platers made use of the 'crown' mark, and not only those of Sheffield, I've noted in past Birmingham and London outfits applying it to their products, so I would not use it as a possible link to tie in members of the Makin family, that best done by someone with a flair for genealogy.

There is still a mountain to be climbed regarding the research of many platers' marks, but new information does come to light and is helped along by people such as yourself who take the time to post mark images and share information.

It's good to hear that you find the website useful and hope you become an active member of the Forum.

Trev.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Hawksley Makin mark

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, thanks for your welcome and your comments. Thinking about your observation on the crown mark made me consider perhaps my view was wrong. I assumed my spoon was newer than the marks I had previously seen attributed to George Hawksley. It may be possible that I have a spoon from before the 1866 Makin take even though that period was very short. I will keep that dream going until someone else puts me right.
Thanks
Fishless

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”