Help Identifying Sterling Eagle Statue

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kskbkskb

Help Identifying Sterling Eagle Statue

Post by kskbkskb »

Hello. I recently purchased this statue, and have been unable to identify it. The marks on it appear to be "W.A. Nelson" "Copyright 63" "1/7 SS". I had the statue tested to verify it is sterling. Without the wooden base, it weighs 13.62 troy ounces. It measures 4 1/2" tall, by 6 1/2" wide from wing tip to tip. Any help would be appreciated!

kskbkskb

Re: Help Identifying Sterling Eagle Statue

Post by kskbkskb »

Please help!!! Has ANYONE ever heard of this maker??? Thanks!!!

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
Jag
contributor

Post by Jag »

Your pictures are too small to be sure what is being seen. What you've shown does not appear to be the silver maker, but more likely the name of the sculptor and the date it was sculpted. I don't see "SS" and don't think it would mean sterling silver if it is there. If you are in the U.S.A., and this is made of silver, then you should look for a small but clearly marked "Sterling" or "925" stamp on the item - possibly underneath. Without such a stamp, it is likely that this is silver plated and not sterling silver. If you find such a stamp, re-post a larger picture of it and maybe that stamp could be identified.
salmoned
contributor

Post by salmoned »

First thing I notice is that your '1/7 SS' is actually '1/765'. Maybe just a bad photo, but that's my impression.
kskbkskb

Post by kskbkskb »

Sorry about the pics. The 1/7 SS is correct. I took the piece to an antique dealer friend of mine. He removed the eagle from the base. There are no other marks. He core tested the piece, and verified it is sterling. He said he has seen other limited number sculptures marked with the "SS" for sterling silver. The issue is in identifying the name on the piece. He also believes it to be "RA NELSON". He could not find any info under that name as a sculptor or silversmith either. I hope someone out there has seen this mark before. admin edit Thanks all!
Last edited by oel on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: value
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I'd have to agree with salmoned, that certainly appears to be an edition number rather than an indication of metal composition. As to the artist, try googling "David R. Nelson". He is a wildlife sculptor with a website and it would probably be in your interest to contact him.

Good luck,
Tom

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”