help with spoon date

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
dippy2

help with spoon date

Post by dippy2 »

Hi i have a small spoon possibly a tea spoon or christening spoon , the markings are so tiny it is impossible to photograph them i can only see them under a magnifying glass . however the spoon is decorative with some sort of castle towers three in all on the top of the spoon then under this three spiders look like ants to me then below is what looks like rope bridge or similar and then a castle design again . the hall marks are on the basin of the spoon one being the letters in a diamond OS underneath a sun and a star underneath the letters i have no idea of the other mark its in a squire . on the back of the basin of the spoon is inscribed the name Lilly .any ideas . i will try to get a picture on of the spoon but the hall mark is so tiny it wouldn't even show.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

3 towers = Denmark and the name Lilly is also danish. The 3 spiders etc. makes no sence to me ie it could be part of a month mark - try photo again.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Photos are so important to ID most pieces, your spoon sounds to me like it might be French. Would be typical to have tiny marks in the bowl including a diamond-shaped maker's mark and a square mark, which, if having clipped corners or slightly bowed sides, could be a guarantee mark; the ants (or some kind of bug) on a rope bridge sounds like a bigorne; what you see as a three-towered castle could be a town mark. Lilly is a feminine name in many countries, including France (often short for Lilliane). Really all just guesses or assumptions without pictures.

Cheryl ;o)

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”