Can you tell me about Kraft Alpacca and Gelotet?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
unfamiliar

Can you tell me about Kraft Alpacca and Gelotet?

Post by unfamiliar »

Hi there,

I recently acquired this piece that acid tested 900+ silver on the mesh portion and <700 or none at all on the clasp and chain.

I make out the hallmark RK which I believe is Robert Kraft from Germany, working between 1900 and 1940? That puts it in line with the general age of the item.

Can't find any information on the Kraft Alpacca or Gelotet, however. Is it strange for it not to be marked 925 somewhere?

Anyway, here is the hallmark and item in question.:

unfamiliar

Re: Can you tell me about Kraft Alpacca and Gelotet?

Post by unfamiliar »

I also can't make out the hallmark next to the RK.
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi¨

sorry to disappoint you, your item is silver plated. Alpacca is a trade name for Nickel Silver, also called German Silver. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It tests for silver because you were testing the silver plated base metal.
"Gelötet" is German for "Soldered", here mainly a quality indication. The chain basket is not only crimped on but soldered on.

So, German, silverplated item made by a manufacturer named Kraft.

Kind regards

Jörg
unfamiliar

Post by unfamiliar »

Hi Jorg,

Are you certain? Because Robert Kraft and his hallmark are listed under the German Hallmarks section of the site:

http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_marks_a1884_3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also how much silver plating could the mesh have? I rubbed pretty deep to acid test and it came out positive.
salmoned
contributor

Post by salmoned »

I don't think you've searched very well. I googled 'gelotet' and the first hit was a translation from german to 'brazed or soldered'. It's possible the mesh is a solid silver alloy, but since the closure is not the item is not.
unfamiliar

Post by unfamiliar »

salmoned wrote:I don't think you've searched very well. I googled 'gelotet' and the first hit was a translation from german to 'brazed or soldered'. It's possible the mesh is a solid silver alloy, but since the closure is not the item is not.
I searched quite well, actually. And the definition of Soldered doesn't mean Plated, which is why I still asked the question here.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

It is quite usual for a manufacturer to be involved with the production of solid silver as well as plated wares. Had the item been marked with the 'Crown and Moon' mark, then it would have been solid silver. As it marked 'Alpacca' then the item is silver plated.

It would make no sense for a manufacturer to make an item out of solid silver and mark it as plated. I'm afraid your attempt to remove the surface will have caused permanent damage to the bag.

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”