Can you identify mark next to "STERLING GERMANY"?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kaja515

Can you identify mark next to "STERLING GERMANY"?

Post by kaja515 »

Here is a vermeil brooch that came from my mother-in-law's estate. She was born 1927. The brooch may have belonged to her own mother or another relative before her.

Since my original posting, I have been able to examine the mark under greater magnification, and have been able to find a mark like it in the book COLLECTIBLE SILVER JEWELRY IDENTIFICATION & PRICE GUIDE by Fred Rezazadeh. It is described as an
N within a W in an oval.
But I still don't know to whom/what company the mark belongs, or when it was made.

Does anyone have an idea of the age and maker of this piece? Thanks!

http://www3.filehost.to/files/2006-05-2 ... _pin_2.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(image too large! - link only)
Last edited by kaja515 on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi, As the mark image is so unclear, could you please describe it.
Regards, Tom
kaja515

Post by kaja515 »

Thanks for responding, Tom.
Unfortunately, I can't describe the mark any better than the image appears! When I first looked at it, it seemed to be the shape of something, like a chicken or a strange-looking bust of a person -- something with a small head, anyway...
As I looked more closely, I thought there appeared to be a letter "N" to the top right of the larger, curved line -- a "C" or part of an "O," or just an oval??
I was hoping that there would be something recognizable enough to someone who was already familiar with the mark.
kaja515

Post by kaja515 »

Oops! I added new information by editing my original post, rather than putting it here.

Please read my original post, which contains the new information.
Thank you!
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, the use of the word 'Sterling' on German jewellery would imply a production from ca. 1960 till the present. There is a German maker, Willi Nonnenmann from Pforzheim, whose mark strikingly resembles Your description. Maybe he is (or rather was, he is no longer listed in the directory) the one ? Best wishes, Bahner

Return to “European Jewelry”