Hallmark "'R' in a jar" ID please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Rusty1

Hallmark "'R' in a jar" ID please

Post by Rusty1 »

Can someone identify this marking and provide some information about it? It's on a collapsible/telescoping cup from the early 1900's (i believe). It's in a round brown leather case (not the one in the pic) with the wording 'Winnipeg Fire' and 'Underwriters Agency'. I cannot find any information about either the case nor the cup. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
2209patrick
co-admin

Re: Hallmark "'R' in a jar" ID please

Post by 2209patrick »

Welcome to the forum.

Carl Frederich Rumpp founded C.F. Rumpp & Sons in Philadelphia in 1850.
Known for their fine leather goods. Many travel cases they produced are fitted with silver mountings.

Pat.
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

Although the information for C.F.Rumpp & Sons or Carl Frederich Rumpp Sr. is very limited, your information is very appreciated. I did manage to come across an email address for an interested grandson (Carl Frederich Rumpp III) who is showing some interest in this item. Thank you.
silverly

Post by silverly »

For what it is worth, the company was listed as C F RUMPP, pocketbooks 116 & 118 N 4th in the 1889 Philadelphia Business Directory, and in the 1891 Directory it was listed as C F RUMPP & SONS pocketbooks 116 & 118 N 4th.

My guess is that the person mentioned in regard to the email is the founder's great great grandson.
JonTheel

Post by JonTheel »

I have this very same cup It was in payment for some work I did yesterday. I'm actually wondering if it's silver with gold plating on the inside
JonTheel

Post by JonTheel »

Novice to this site I would like to post some pictures of the cup but I do not know how to. Thank you

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”