London 1766 repousse cup (photo removed)

1700 - 1830

Moderators: MCB, buckler

RORY

London 1766 repousse cup (photo removed)

Post by RORY »

I have a sterling repousse cup that I've identified as being made in London in 1766. I am seeking any info on the maker of the cup. His mark is a star followed by "M." Thank you for your assistance.

Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

London, 1766-1767 is my guess. Maker's mark is rubbed, don't know who it is, does someone have Grimwade?

Waylander
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Date 1766-7 absolutely spot on and maker a little dubious but could be Matthew Lofthouse who was a prolific maker of drinking vessels in the early-mid 18th century. As I always say..don't take my word for it but that's the best I can do with my ageing memory. Best wishes, Mike.
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Mike, on viewing the mark it was my feeling that it is W<star>?, that is, the visible letter is a W, not an M. What do you think?

Waylander
da5id

London 1766 Sterling-need makers mark info

Post by da5id »

I think yours is an unregistered mark attributed to either Jacob Marsh or John Moore. They were both active in this period; Marsh having an item dated 1763 and Moore one dated 1767. Marsh is the more probable one as his item was a mug. I hope this helps. Dave
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Good thinking Waylander but sides of it are a little too straight for my liking and I have never run across a single 'W' mark on drinking vessels before. What I do also notice is that there may be a 'ghost letter partly under the star...can anyone else see it or is it my imagination?
Best wishes, MIke.
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Perhaps the 'ghost letter I am seeing is a 'T' which has been worn down and which would make the makers mark 'T*M' which could be Thomas Morley...what do you think?
Best wishes, Mike.
da5id

London 1766 Sterling-need makers mark info

Post by da5id »

Might be Morley, but I doubt it. His first mark was not entered until 1775 and was in partnership with G. Baskerville. Also his mark had a pellet between the T and M not the clear star in this example. The ghost mark could be an I making it I*M for Jacob Marsh ca. 1763. Dave

Return to “London Lost Registers & Unrecorded Marks”