KOVSH BY SAZIKOV

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
ARGENTUM49

KOVSH BY SAZIKOV

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

X
X
Only two pics allowed, you already have the hallmark.
I manage to take the best close up of the handle; the chiseling is clearly seen both in the fish-scales décor and in the ornament. The surface between is embossed with another tool to make the surface decorated and to cover the traces of chiseling.Examine the traces due to age. I will post another hallmark wit a centerpiece of the Moscow branch. The eagle is the same - examine your Sazikov pieces, please, for the appearance of ``Imperial eagle `` hallmark. It seems that it is the same everywhere on his hallmarks. The eagle shape is almost unrecognizable.

Ivan
dognose
Site Admin

Re: KOVSH BY SAZIKOV

Post by dognose »

Hi Ivan,

You are not restricted regarding the number of images per post.

Regards Trev.
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hi Ivan,
How many hallmarks are on the item? Is it just the one set that you have already pictured?
Regards,
Piette
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Yes, that is all. The handle is soldered to the body and it is hollow. It would not stand hallmarking without having been spoiled (indented). No matter how limited force is applied when striking hallmarks, hollow silver cannot stand it.
Ivan
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

According to the Russian silver legislation every detachable part must carry a mark. The object itself was according to the legislation brought to the assayer unfinished, unpolished and in pieces and every part marked with the maker's mark. It was strictly forbidden for the assayer to mark unmarked objects or parts of it. If he got caught for doing that he was severely punished. The assayer then assayed and hit his marks also on hollow parts that was no problem. Of course there was the possibility that the object was rejected but then it was destroyed in the assayer's office and the maker fined.

When the object was assayed it was legally approved. Then the maker took it back to his workshop and assembled it, smoothed the possible impression mark on the opposite side, polished it and made it ready for sale or delivery. As an example a creamer which usually is made of 4 parts i.e. body, bottom, grip and spout. Every part is punched with the respective assayer's mark and maker's mark. All in order to prevent a later change of any part. This was the procedure and now it is time for conclusions. Is there a mark on every detachable part soldered or not? If not, sorry my good man!

I don't know anymore how many times I have stated the above mentioned here but that is how it was. There is no reason whatsoever to question that fact.
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Thanks for the info because I was aware that detachable parts had to be hallmarked in England. I have learnt from your kind comment that the same rule was applied in Russia, too. I have a sugar box with a hallmark struck even on the screw (detachable part, of course). There are no detachable parts in the kovsh — the handle is soldered to the body.
Still, I cannot understand the possibility of hallmarking hollow parts. It does take a considerable force to strike steel hallmarking tool into silver. I have repaired myself a golden indented hollow French ladies umbrella handle in the workshop of a friend of mine. We had to saw through it, repair the indented part by pushing it with wood of the same diameter from inside out and then soldered two pieces again. You must have heard of British ``hallmark dodgers`` who brought a light flatware to The Assay office, paid the tax, and returned to their workshop, cut off the flatware and attached it to the bottom of a teapot ten times heavier. Regards,
Ivan
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Ivan, if the handle is soldered to the body it is a detachable part. I mentioned it earlier, it has no meaning how a part is attached to another part like the handle to the body. It It can be done by soldering, screws, rivets, hinges whatever but it is still a separately manufactured part and attached somehow to the another part i.e detachable
Yes, it is difficult to mark hollow parts but it can be done. As I mentioned the object was brought to the assayer in parts. There is a hole in the handle at that stage. The assayer puts a counterpart into the hole and punch. Back in the workshop the makers smooths the impression marks and solders the handle to the body. That's it, no major problem just work. Do you see what I mean?

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”