basic stuff re german flatware

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Elissa

basic stuff re german flatware

Post by Elissa »

Hello Silver buffs

I have recently aquired some silver flatware from a 60 year old german man who remembers using it as a child (either his mothers or grandmothers). He doesn't know how old it is.

The marks on one set are a crown (three pointed) with the number 100.

The marks on the other set are Rostfrei Solingen (on the blades) and 90 on the handles of the knives; and F crossed hatchets B90 on the forks and spoons.

I'm sure these are fairly straightforward, but I can't find anything about them on the web.

Does anyone have any insights re how old or what the marks indicate?
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, this is plate. The numbers 90 and 100 have to to with the actual weight of silver in Gramm used in electroplating. The maker was Franz Bahner in Duesseldorf, founded in 1895, dissolved in 1962. Bahner took up production of plated cutlery around 1939, so this was made between 1939 and 1962. Best wishes, Bahner
Elissa

thanks bahner

Post by Elissa »

thanks, how interesting - it's very good to have an expert in the forum! Are you related to Franz Bahner?
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, no relation there. I forgot one thing: what I mentioned refers to the pieces with the 'F / B' mark . It is hard to say without a pic but the other mark is probably that of E. & R. Kierdorf of Solingen, Germany. Founded in 1927 and listed in the directories until the middle 1990ies. Best wishes. Bahner

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”