Russian? made for Tiffany

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ClaudeD

Russian? made for Tiffany

Post by ClaudeD »

This is one of 6 spoons in a box marked Tiffany. I believe that they are Russian, made for Tiffany. Any help is greatly appreciated.

x
x
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, the marks are (from right to left) the assayer's mark, in use since 1908; the town mark of St. Petersburg with a silver quality of 88 Zolotniks (equals 916,6 / 1000 parts of fine silver); the double-headed eagle as the mark of a supplier to the Imperial Court.

The mark on the left hand side should logically be the maker's mark. It seems not to be documented. The outline of the mark is unusual for Russian marks. They most often come in squares or rectangels, sometimes with rounded corners. I do not remember ever seeing this triangle form before on Russian pieces, and I can only guess, whether this really is the maker's mark or an export mark or an importer's mark of some kind. I have to pass this one. Maybe somebody out there can help. Best wishes, Bahner
ClaudeD

Post by ClaudeD »

Thank you Bahner, that's more than I had. Maybe I'll get lucky and have some more identification. They are really beautiful spoons; the photos I took were just for identification, and they're lovely in person.

Claude

Return to “Other Countries”