A snuffbox

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Postnikov
inactive

A snuffbox

Post by Postnikov »

This little snuffbox was made by Afanasiev (Afanasev) Fedor Alexejewitsch, workmaster of Fabergé. Between 1883 and 1888 he worked at the workshop of silversmith E. Sistonen, after with Karl Bock (court jeweler) and from 1907 on for Carl Fabergé. Around 1920 (!) he was an employee of the Moscow Jeweler Organisation.(Lenin´s NAP programm....)
Little is known about him!
His mark you can find on small objects of high quality - miniature eastereggs, frames and objets d´art in gold, silver and enamel.

Question: Does somebody know more about him? I am very interested on further informations!

Here are the pics:

Front

Reverse with the inscription: Jacob to remember the common military service 9.III.1889

mark

a miniature easteregg (red cross egg), worn by the ladies of the court during WW I when visiting "selected " wounded soldiers in hospitals

Any help very welcome!

Regards

Postnikov
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

In addition to what you already know is very little to add. He was born around 1870 but hes date of death is unknown. He was as an apprentice to E. Sistonen (a Finn). It is not for sure that he worked with Karl Bock. However, it is only that he presumably worked with Bock 1888-1907.

As you said, with Fabergé he produced Easter eggs, small jewelry set with precious stones and small articles of gilded silver with guilloché enamel such as parasol handles, seals, perfume bottles, pill boxes, as well as cigarette cases of Karelian birch with gold ornamentation.

Sorry, that's all I have on him.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Oh, I completely forgot another source.

Fyodor was an assistant to 1903. From 1903-1913 assistant manager and 1913-1917 manager of the jewelry department of Fabergé. In 1911 he owned a gold and silver workshop on Voznesensky pr. 36 in St P. The firm worked for Fabergé and produced among other items table decorations like pine and fir-trees (?).

Now my cist is empty :-)
Dad
contributor

Re: A snuffbox

Post by Dad »

Good afternoon. Excuse for my English.
This "little snuffbox" is a fake. The hallmark (56) is fantasy. "Head" in a hallmark (oval) should be vertically.

Best Regards.
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi -
please read the text and diverse contributions on this site about this mark. My opinion: it was used because of the abundant silverwork on the goldbox - the silver is not marked. I have several objects from Afanasiev in my collection - the mark ФА, though on many Fabergé objects is even not registered in PL`s book (!). There is a mistery around this person - and mostly easter egs and small gold objects are known from him. I handle a lot of Russian silver and gold since over 20 years but I never have seen a massive goldbox in this typical Russian format and style as fake. And last but not least: it comes with pictures and documents from this Jakobu´s family whose name is on the donation text. The only question I have is, why the donator presented this box in the years 1908-17? Maybe lack of money - it was even at that time a very costly present!

Regards
Postnikov
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Good afternoon.
«Why a fake?»:

1. The brand "kokoshnik to the right" is accepted in 1908. The mark form is strong fixed in “Правила клеймения золотых и серебряных изделий 1908 года” («Rules of a marking-off of gold and silver products of 1908.»)
In an oval "head" - vertically.You have shown a mark "shovel". In "shovel" (a small shovel) — it is horizontal. "Shovel" - a mark for subjects is less than 2 zolotniks (8.5 gram), usually.
2. The inscription on a box cover is made inaccurately for expensive subject.
3. Date in the signature 1889г. The mark "kokoshnik to the right" has appeared only in 1908г.

Once again I am sorry for my english.

Best Regards.

PS. Why I can't attach a picture?
The server answer: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Dad,

Welcome to the Forum.

How to Add Images

Trev.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Dad wrote:Good afternoon.
«Why a fake?»:

1. The brand "kokoshnik to the right" is accepted in 1908. The mark form is strong fixed in “Правила клеймения золотых и серебряных изделий 1908 года” («Rules of a marking-off of gold and silver products of 1908.»)
In an oval "head" - vertically.You have shown a mark "shovel". In "shovel" (a small shovel) — it is horizontal. "Shovel" - a mark for subjects is less than 2 zolotniks (8.5 gram), usually.
2. The inscription on a box cover is made inaccurately for expensive subject.
3. Date in the signature 1889г. The mark "kokoshnik to the right" has appeared only in 1908г.

Once again I am sorry for my english.

Best Regards.

PS. Why I can't attach a picture?
The server answer: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
Thanks Trev.
Illustration to the message: Image
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi -
I am verry sorry - but we do not discuss fakes on this site!

Regards
Postnikov
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Postnikov wrote:Hi -
I am verry sorry - but we do not discuss fakes on this site!

Regards
Postnikov
Hi
I agree with you. I am glad that you have understood. :0)))
Here an original brand (Moscow, 1908-1926) : Image

Best Regards.

Return to “Russian Silver”