Is this a Dutch ? Silver Mark on this Small Tea Pot

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
efinoia

Is this a Dutch ? Silver Mark on this Small Tea Pot

Post by efinoia »

I purchased this sweet Tea Pot and have spent a few hours, researching the marks. After looking through this site and reading other answers to questions, I am thinking this is a Dutch Hallmark. This has a Crown mark, Sword and square mark, but am curious about the question mark? in the circle. Does the Sword and square mark denote the silver or sterling purity? Thanks...Elizabeth
Image[/code]
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, most likely this is German, made by Schleissner. See German marks on this forum. Best wishes, Bahner
efinoia

Post by efinoia »

Hi, Thank You so much. I have spent the past few hours, doing more searches and read the article twice. It is Schleissner, but I am still stuck on the sword mark. Tried some searches on Google and even eBay Germany, but can't seem to match the sword to anything. Thanks again for all your help. Elizabeth
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hanau makers were, to say the least, creative in their markings. Although they tended to use at least one mark that identified themselves as the maker, the accompanying marks were more often "decorative" elements, rather than signifiers.
Regards, Tom

Return to “German Silver”