unknown south danish makers mark

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
R ingo
contributor

unknown south danish makers mark

Post by R ingo »

Hello,
can someone help me with this makers mark?
I think, the spoon was made in Southern Jutland (Sønderjylland), because there (and sometimes also in Schleswig Holstein, northern Germany) the makers mark was stamped twice in an object. Unfortunately there is no city mark.

Thanks and kind regards,
Ringo
Hose_dk
contributor

Re: unknown south danish makers mark

Post by Hose_dk »

2 - 3- or 4 times same mark is done several places in Denmark. This mark has similarities - but not excact same to Mouritz Angel Wendelboe born 1805 in Horsens where he works in 1834 and 1840. Get citienship in Ebeltoft August 22nr 1842. Living in Adelgade (nobility street in direct translation - one of those streets was in every danish town) dead 1895.
This master match the look of the spoon, but mark is a bit different. I think that he is the maker.
R ingo
contributor

Post by R ingo »

Hello Hose_dk,
I thank you very much for your help and the other informations. I did not know, that up to 4 times the same mark on one object is done in several places in Denmark.
Bernt Zeitzschel wrote in his book (about the gold- and silver-marks of eastern Schleswig-Holstein), that the doubling of the makers mark probably should imitate the "normal case" of silver-marking of bigger cities where two marks, a makers mark and a city mark, were usually common.
In this context it is interesting, that you wrote, that in Denmark up to 4 times the same makers mark was used. I have no experience with danish silver, but in TARDY I just read, that the silver before the act of 5th April 1888 regularly bears 3 marks (city mark, sign of zodiac and assayers mark). Added with the makers mark this are also 4 marks.
So the reason for the multiple makers marks is probably really the imitation of the "normal case" of marking with its regularly numbers of marks. But probably I am wrong.

Tanks and kind regards,
Ringo
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

you are right that is the case. To show that his silver was as good as Copenhagen silver. I have several with 3 marks. Somewhere I have also posted picture of one carrying 4 identical marks. But I cannot find post - and I cannot recal whether the 4 mark spoon was mine or if it was from an auction. Anyhow I cannot find the 4 mark spoon - and could it be internet? dont think so .... must find it.
What I found was a 3 mark spoon. Same maker W - in this case the W is identical to the W in the book. Another proff that he "multiplied".

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”