N.Y.C. Silversmith, Engraver, or other H. FRIEDRICK ???

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
offthewood

N.Y.C. Silversmith, Engraver, or other H. FRIEDRICK ???

Post by offthewood »

This is my first post and I'm sorry it's nothing elegant but it may be interesting. I would like to be able to date this Buckle and what appears to be some type of monogrammed escutcheon. I can find no information on an H. Freidrick in NYC. The buckle is smaller like older buckles about 2 1/2" x 2" and the hand worked plate is strange because the base work appears much older then the monogram which is much sharper. So it would seem to have hung around for a while. The key is in the name. Since I have 2 very different pieces I suspect there is more. I would love to see them! I thank all in advance for looking!

Nancy Gensch

H Friedrick Buckle

Post by Nancy Gensch »

Silver Buckle with H Friedrick posted from author offthewood. That is a Herman Friedrick Buckle - likely from the 40's or 50's. He was a famous Cowboy Silversmith during the 40's to early 60's. I would like to contact the owner of this buckle. I am the daughter of Herman Friedrick and am very interested in speaking with the owner to give her more detailed information.
(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Thank you.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to the Forum.

It would be great if you could post any information right here, so that everyone can share your knowledge.

Regards Trev.
Nancy Gensch

H Friedrick - NYC Buckle

Post by Nancy Gensch »

I'm the daughter of H Friederick. He did buckles for Gene Autry, Casey Tibbs, Guy Mitchell, Ted Mack and also the silver work on Roy Rogers saddles and much more. (admin edit - see Posting Requirements)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Nancy,
It is always exciting for us to hear from someone with first hand knowledge of a silversmith. Can you provide a little more information about your father to round out the picture? It would be great to learn when he was born, where in New York his workshop was located and how long it operated, did he employ many craftsmen or do all of his own silversmithing. All of these background details help to bring a smith to life for us.
Many thanks for anything you can share.

Regards, Tom
Nancy Gensch

Post by Nancy Gensch »

Herman Friedrick was born in Frankfort Germany. (1912-1965)
He was a horse trainer and trick rider - and became very well known amongst Cowboys in the early 40's to early 60's for doing extraordinary silver work, such as the buckle pictured on this post. All buckels were completely hand tooled using gold and silver with rubies or diamonds.
He opened a Cowboy Silversmith shop next to Madison Square Garden and sold a full supply of Western clothing/boots/hats/saddles bridles/hand carved belts and filled many orders for his silversmith work. (buckles/lighters/cufflings and a variety of silver pieces.) Famous world champion cowboys and celebrities were always visiting his store and he has done many silver pieces for them. People that frequented his store included Gabby Hayes, Roy Rogers, Gene Aurty, Pat Brady, Jim Shoulders, Casey Tibbs, Harry Thompkins, Ted Mack, Guy Mitchell.
A gentlemen named Roy Spector had a large collection of Herman's work.
Although Herman died young, there are many pieces out there. However, no one seems to want to part with them so they are very hard to find.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Nancy,

Many thanks for posting the information.

Do you have any images of Herman Friedrick's work that you could post?

Regards Trev.
silverly

Re: N.Y.C. Silversmith, Engraver, or other H. FRIEDRICK ???

Post by silverly »

Not his work but here's a picture of the man in New York City that was in a 1950 issue of Life: http://books.google.com/books?id=fkoEAA ... 22&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The entire magazine was a great nostalgic journey!
Nancy Gensch

Post by Nancy Gensch »

Thank you very much for the picture in Life Magazine of Herman Friedrick.
Nancy Gensch
k rick

Post by k rick »

Now im excited I have a Beautiful H.Friedrick sterling-14k n.y.c. Belt Buckle, it measures 4in x 2 3/4 inches.IT features a gold texas longhorn steer, And a gold flower in each corner with inlaid rubies.This is the first time iv found anything about it.my boy is coming over with a dig cam to upload photos.im curious who may have owned it before my father.
Nancy Gensch

Post by Nancy Gensch »

It's hard to know who may have owned it before your father. Can you let me know your father's name?

I may know of him. I am Herman's daugher Nancy Friedrick-Gensch. That is great that you have a buckle and I am looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Nancy
k rick

Post by k rick »

photos are The best i can do for now.
ANTEAKFLEA

Post by ANTEAKFLEA »

Hi! I have a Sterling Silver Lighter with a Ruby and a Gold Horse that is signed by H Friedrick NYC. I would like more information on it! Thanks!

robertkf

Post by robertkf »

My name is Robert Friedrick, H. Friedrick was my father. He was a Western Silver Smith in New York City in the 40's
to the early 60's. I also have a sister named Nancy Gensch. I believe I just had purchased the lighter from you.
Its nice to see my fathers work.

SydneyRose

Post by SydneyRose »

I have a few very nice Friedrick pieces including two nice 3 piece ranger sets with sterling, gold and rubies, one or two trophy style buckles, and a cigarette lighter. The odd thing is that in more than one instance, I have found Friedrick pieces with the makers mark completely scratched out. I could tell it was Friedrick's work based on the design of the engraving and gold work and also from the distinct shape of the makers mark that had been scratched....always the same: a semi circle saying "H. FRIEDRICK" WITH "STERLING - 14K" under that in a straight line, and "N.Y.C." under that in a straight line. Any idea why the makers mark would be scratced out so often?

I have tried to upload photos of these pieces but cannot figure out how to do it. Can someone advise?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

How to Add Images

http://www.tinypic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is recommended.

Trev.
apolune

Post by apolune »

Here's a photo of my Friedrick buckles. I wear each one once a month or so.

apolune

Post by apolune »

Here are SydneyRose's buckles and lighter

Jack R

A piece I'd like more info about

Post by Jack R »

I was gifted a piece from a friend and I believe it was made by Herman Friedrick. There is many things I'd like to know including: what is it? What was its original cost? Why is it styled the way it is?
It has his stamp on the back, looks like a belt with a left handed holster, and has a mini gun on a chain. I would love to provide pictures but I cannot upload them here.
I am aware that this discussion hasn't been active in a few years but I would highly appreciate a response.
Thank you
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. Please start a new topic with images.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.postimg.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Give some time to creating your posts and photos, we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.

Return to “Arts & Crafts Smiths ~ American Handwrought after-1900”