Help to identify

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kat1963

Help to identify

Post by kat1963 »

This was my Grandmothers. I have no idea what it is. It has some marks on it but they wont show with the camera and I cant find them online. Thanks for your help.

This is on the backs of the spoons
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you'd take the trouble to describe the marks in detail, we might be able to help.
kat1963

Post by kat1963 »

This is as close as I can get. I would also like to know what the proper name for the kind of pot it is. Thanks
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

It's a Paris sugar vase with spoons. Made between 1819 and 1838 (950/000 silver).
No idea what the 2 and d marks are, maybe date letters.

You usually don't see sugar vases this large, so could also been used for something else or from a wealthy family that needed to impress with a large centerpiece.

You should also be able to find a makersmark on it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
The mark in the diamond form is the maker's mark. See ->
French Hallmarks
The marks on the spoons indicate they are from another country and are replacements to the originals. They have a German or Austrian look to them.
Best, Tom
kat1963

Post by kat1963 »

Thanks for the reply. I checked and there are marks on the base as well. There is a head like the second mark above and the same small rectangle and symbol as the 3rd and 4th marks. The diamond shape mark that has a 7 or L in it also has an N in the blank space on top. Were these bowls one of a kind things or were there others? I would really like to find a picture of one. Thanks for you help.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

I've run across several sugar bowls with spoon holders, most often in Victorian American silverplate, have also seen a couple of spooners with additional holders around the rim. Agree with Doos that this appears to be a sugar vase, but does seem rather large. The spoons do seem to be replacements, but the bowls have a typical French extended point tip, where are the marks on the spoons located? Could the "2" be the Dutch 833/1000 mark Tardy shows as being from 1807-10, during the French occupation? (Definitely wandering way out my area of knowledge now.)

Lovely and unusual piece!

Cheryl ;o)
kat1963

Post by kat1963 »

The two marks on the spoons are on the back side of the shaft towards the bowl and the V.V. is on the back side of the shaft at the end opposite the bowl. The whole thing has me puzzled. Thanks for the input.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The "V.V." is an engraved monogram (perhaps one of your ancestors), the spoon would have been placed face down on the table.

Cheryl ;o)
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

That is interesting Dragonflywink.
Most my Dutch books mention that the 2 was used in that era for 20 kt. gold, although in one of them I made a note that it was also used for silver.

If that is the case, then the D could well be an A (dateletter of 1807-1809).

Return to “French Silver”