THOMAS WILKINSON & Co.15, Great Hampton Street, later, Pelican Works, 45-46 Great Hampton Street, Birmingham
T. Wilkinson & Co. - Birmingham - 1855
T. Wilkinson & Co. - Birmingham - 1861
T. Wilkinson & Co. - Birmingham - 1864
Thomas Wilkinson & Co. were formed in 1832 by Thomas Wilkinson, James Shaw and Charles Shaw. Thomas Wilkinson served in the army during the Napoleonic wars and was demobilised whilst stationed at Sheffield. Following his discharge he trained as a silversmith and silver plater. His move to Birmingham was at an unknown date, but in 1832 he opened his works at 15, Great Hampton Street.
They entered their first marks with the Birmingham Assay Office, T W & Co in an oblong with clipped corners and T.W. & Co without ontline, on the 1st July 1835 under the names of Thomas Wilkinson and James Shaw. They later also recorded marks at the London Assay Office.
In 1846 James and Charles Shaw left the partnership and were replaced by Thomas's sons, George and William Henry. Around this period they obtained the licence to use the Elkington Patent method for silver plating. London showrooms were also opened at this time at 41, Tavistock Street, Covent Garden. In 1868 they moved into a new factory, the Pelican Works, 45-46 Great Hampton Street, Birmingham, this was to remain their home until the 1930's.
The firm exhibited at the Paris Exhibition in 1855.
Thomas Wilkinson died on the 19th September 1874 and following that, the firm became known as Thomas Wilkinson & Sons. George Wilkinson retired in 1888 and William Henry was joined by his sons, William Arthur and Francis Isaac.
In 1897 their London showrooms were listed at 16, Holborn Viaduct EC, and in c.1906 at 13, Basinghall Street EC.
Thomas Wilkinson & Sons was sold in 1932 to A.L. Davenport Ltd. and continued in business until 1972.