Lidded Box - Art Deco

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Joschua

Lidded Box - Art Deco

Post by Joschua »

I recently acquired this cute small box that reminded me of Austrian or Italian art deco works by famous designers. I cant find any control marks and I think in Austria 800/°°° also was not really a widespread silver standard. For Italy I would have expected an oval stamped around the 800. I have no idea about the makers mark. Can anybody help...Thank you !

silverport
contributor

Art déco box, maybe of German origin?

Post by silverport »

Hello Joshua

Between the two World Wars, an in Offenbach, Main, Germany settled whole seller has had a nearly similar Trade mark: Jacob Mönch (more details I haven’t).

His Trade mark was, as the maker’s mark on your item, placed in a, from his fond outstanding, circle.

His »J« (stand for: Jacob) had a horizontal starter line; and his final was in the “dale” of »M« - in your case, the starter line is missing, but there fore, a final line start from the dale of »M«.

His »M« (stand for: Mönch) stud in the middle of the circle, as in your case.

His place of trade activity’s, Offenbach, was placed as an »O« centred below the »M«.

Here it is, instead of this, a second »M«.

Theoretic attempt:

Was maybe in Munich settled a dependency of Jacob Mönch? For their identity they have had a slightly different mark?

I guess, by my knowledge of styles and marks, that your item is a German one.

Well, in Italy the practice of assay was lax — but remember the time period of your item = between the two World Wars.

Please look here — as an indication of »pro Italy«: http://www.925-1000.com/Fitalian_marks_01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But in Germany were since 1 January 1888 national markings the case of the producer itself. Nobody controlled him. If he hasn’t struck additionally Crescent and Crown that was his own problem that this miss have.

You could find in Germany often German items with sufficient space for the additional Crescent and Crown, as in your case - but these aren't struck. For final, the maker is the warrant!

During my visits in German Archives I’ve seen there also a lot of makers and whole seller catalogue’s — I haven’t studied them in details, because I’m not interested in all kind of German hollowware. But similar stylistic quality was also possible in Germany.

In the area of Bohemia was Frantisek Bibus factory also a possible source of high grade styled items - for several reason, e.g. missing marks, I think your item isn't made by
»FB«.

I don’t know where you live in Germany. In Munich is, as I know, also a Registry for Trade marks. Please, make there a search; or write them your question.

Maybe a »925-1000« reader, living in Munich or surroundings, would pick up the ball?

Kind regards silverport
Joschua

Post by Joschua »

Hello Silverport

First of all, let me say thank you for your kind and interesting reply.

I will try to gather some information on Mönch.

There are many more German cities starting with the letter M and interesting enough two bigger ones and plenty of smaller ones are very close to Offenbach on the river Main. Mainz for example would easily fit into your theory, or Mannheim and both are even in sort of a well known area for early 20th century art by German Gold- and Silvermith’s, which goes from somewhere in Hanau down to Pforzheim.

I will pick up your "German" theory and try to find out more if I can. The craftsman’s guilds in that area might have old registries...

Best wishes

Joschua
Joschua

Post by Joschua »

The factory of Jakob Mönch closed in Offenbach in 1972, so he himself did likely not move. They did metal ware in all kinds of metal for the local leather industry, which sounds like less sophisticated work than this box is.

Still the idea of a descendant is possible...

Best wishes

Joschua
silverport
contributor

Art déco style case, possibly of German origin?!

Post by silverport »

Hello Joschua

I hope that »Bahner«, »925-1000« profoundest contributor for not only German silver would get notice of your question.

Let's hope and wait - because »Bahner« is very much occupied by research and assistances.

But that doesn't mean, not to start own or more research - because I've learned, to search by myself at lot, has enlarged my knowledge.

It will function also by others as well.

Trust in you!

Kind regards silverport

Kind
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello and congrats - great piece. I saw it when it came up for auction on May 12th. As to the mark - I have been wrecking my brain since then whether I saw it before. But I don't think so. The style cries early 1920ies. Best wishes, Bahner
Joschua

Post by Joschua »

Thank you Bahner, I guess I will enjoy it for some years until further research or mere luck lets me discover a designer or maker.

Joschua

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”