Irish Retailer Marks--Long Term Project

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

This is the mark of another mystery retailer 'G & N', this one appears on a Richard Sawyer dessert spoon assayed at the Dublin office in 1810. The only other example of the 'G & N' mark I have previously encountered was also on a Richard Sawyer spoon, but undated.

Richard Sawyer registered with the Dublin Company in 1797 from 2, Fishamble Street, Dublin. Freeman in 1807, he died in 1812.

Trev.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

I see Rooke in the tables but no photo, so here he is!

Miles

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Miles,

Many thanks for that. Henry Rooke's main trade was that of an engraver, he is noted at 14, Essex Quay 1800-1801, 14, Crampton Court 1802-1826 and then at 80, Dame Street in 1827. He seems to disapear after this date, perhaps dead, perhaps retired, perhaps he could no longer afford to continue in business, this was about the time that the Commissioner of Stamps was squeezing the Dublin silversmiths dry.

Henry Rooke registered with the Dublin Company in 1802, Freeman in 1810 and served as Warden 1819-1822 and Master 1822-1823.

I've encountered Rooke's mark about ten times now, and it is always in association with Thomas Townsend.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Link to the Trade Card of William Law:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/s ... _id=358883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
ralf1e

Post by ralf1e »

Hello All I was researching some spoons I am selling when I found this part of your forum. I thought you might want the photo of W.Peter retailer with the Thomas Farnell/Farnett makers mark. I only hope I can upload the image for you if not then I may need some help as to how to get it to you.

Regards to all Ralph
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Ralph,

Welcome to the Forum.

Manys thanks for your contribution to this project, it's very welcome.

Regards Trev.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Have we had an incuse NEILL yet?

Miles

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Miles,

No, that's the first one.

Robert Neill served his apprenticeship under Job Rider and set up business on his own account in 1803. He was for a period in partnership with Henry L. Gardner. Following the death of Robert Neill the business was in the hands of his sons, John Ross Neill and James (Thomas) Neill, this partnership was later dissolved with James Neill setting up in Donegall Place. James's son Sharman Dermott Neill continued the business as from 1885 following his father's retirement.

Sharman D. Neill died in 1934.

Trev.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

I've just been going through some old photos and found a WILSON from 1862.

Miles

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Miles,

There was a George Wilson of 6, Camden Buildings, Dublin. He appears in street directories from 1842-1853. Perhaps he was around a bit longer?

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An updated listing:

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Retailer mark of BROWN on a dessert knife by George Bayly, assayed at Dublin in 1819.

Trev.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

A couple more.

Miles

Image Image
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Miles,

Thanks for that.

Walter Peter's details are in an earlier post, the other is likely to be Richard Steel Lee of 66, Abbey Street, Dublin. Richard Lee first appears in street directories in 1815, so he, or his business, appear to be quite long established.

Regards Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Noted recently, 'Finlay' on a James Le Bas spoon assayed at Dublin in 1839.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Two more names noted.

'E M & Co' on a John Smyth spoon assayed at Dublin in 1857 and 'R. Peter' on a John Smyth spoon assayed at Dublin in 1850.

Both retailer marks were struck without outline.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Here is a photo of the 'E.M & Co.' mark.

Trev.
ardenode

Re: Matthew West

Post by ardenode »

Hi, I can help you with the West family of Dublin, they are my ancestors. Firstly there are two Matthew West's.
Matthew West Snr was born 1747 and Died 1806 his mark is MW, his son Matthew West born 1777 and died 1820 his mark is M West, Jacob West born 1772 and died 1859 was his brother and grandfather of Langley Archer West whose family still own West of Grafton St in Dublin.
Jacob West was also the name of the father of Matthew West Snr, Jacob West was probably the founder of the West Silversmithing in Dublin, items with the hallmarks of IW are attributed to him as the maker.
dognose wrote:Hi,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused, and this Clark&West/West/Egan piece is a prime example of what causes this confusion.

The Date letter 'L' for 1807, can be found with or without the Duty Mark. The Duty Mark was first applied to items on the 10th August 1807.

The Clark & West partnership was that of John Clark and Jacob West. This firm appear to have been in business from 1804 to 1815 and were described as 'Wholesale Goldsmiths & Jewellers' of 9, Capel Street, Dublin.
The mark of 'West' that was used from 1801-1859 is also that of Jacob West, not Matthew West. Matthew West's similar mark, as I understand it, was always prefixed with the 'M', and was in use for the period 1769 to 1827.
I'm not sure if there was any family connection between Jacob and Matthew, although I believe Matthew's fathers name was also Jacob, so our Jacob may possibly be the older brother?

Daniel Egan's mark was thought to be in use for the period 1800-1809.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Irish Retailer Marks--Long Term Project

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for unravelling this mystery. If I have it right, both Jacob and Matthew jnr were Alderman.

Jackson has Matthew West (who you have indentified as MW sen.) as the son of Jacob West of Kildare and apprenticed to John West in 1762 (making him around 15 years of age, which would just the right age). John West is noted as being the son of Jacob West, farmer, of Queensborough, County Kildare. Could John West be Matthew's (sen.) elder brother? He died in the same year as Matthew, 1806.

Also can you throw any light on George West, goldsmith, working in Dublin 1792-1828.

Regards Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Irish Retailer Marks--Long Term Project

Post by dognose »

Noted recently, 'J. Hackett' without outline, on a John Smyth spoon assayed at Dublin in 1890.

This would be James Hackett of 42, Patrick Street, Cork. This business was founded in c.1820 by the grandfather of James Hackett who was also called James. In their heyday Hackett's employed over thirty workers, mostly in stone cutting and the manufacture of gold and silver jewellery.

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”