Teepee something or other...

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
conletb1

Teepee something or other...

Post by conletb1 »

Anyone know what this is? I can't find any information about it.

Thanks!

Click images to see larger picture:

Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Looks like it might be to heat something up, with a candle going on the main stand. Brandy perhaps?

Miles
conletb1

Post by conletb1 »

That's what I thought at first, too. But there are no burn marks under the middle 'shelf'. Also, it is too small to fit a Brandy bottle. The dimensions are 7" H x 6" W x 3" D. There is a small hook at the top and it appears that the small 'wings' on the side hold something, but they are only 1/4" apart. The space between the bottom and the middle shelf is 1 1/4". The 'circle' shelf on the left is 1 1/8" inside diameter. Strange little object.

Thanks for the input, though!

Tim
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

Maybe a glass with brandy, not the whole bottle.
conletb1

Post by conletb1 »

That sounds more probable than a bottle. I forgot to mention that the raised circle on the shelf in the middle is 2" inside diameter. So, it would have to be a shot glass or something small. I still don't know what the purpose is for the small hook at the top. Or the small 'wings' on the side and the other raised circle on the left for that matter either. Anyway, thanks for the input. All suggestions are welcomed as it gives me some other directions to do more searching.

Thanks,
Tim

Also, if it does turn out to be some sort of warmer, it hasn't been used like that because there are no marks of any kind on the bottom of the middle shelf. Makes you go, hmmm.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Perhaps a smoking stand? Cigars or cigarettes in the center (cup missing), matches in the smaller stand, ash receiver stored in the bottom shelf. Something decorative hanging from the hook (miniature bucket? think the design is supposed to represent a well.)

Regards, Tom
conletb1

Post by conletb1 »

That was a good idea, Tom. However, I can't find any smoke stands that looked anything like that. What I'd love to get my hands on is a catalog of Middletown Plate Company products. There was part of one selling somewhere online, but I don't know where. Anyway, thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Tim
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Middletown Plate Co. - 1891

Trev.
silverport
contributor

Cruet stand?

Post by silverport »

Hello

Could it maybe the metal part of a »cruet stand«?

Kind regards silverport
silverport
contributor

An »Individual«?

Post by silverport »

Hello

In a German catalogue for flatware and hollowware (SMF Wellner Söhne, XXXV ed. 1914) is shown a butter cooler with a hook, for hinge up there during use the tap of the bowl.

In that time it was also usual in English speaking area, to start the day at home, and especially in a hotel, with "ham and eggs" and »Individuals« as server for butter, napkin ...

In »925-1000« is appraised a »Meriden« catalogue from 4th quarter of 19 century - only visible for North Americans and invisible for Europeans. At least the whole "e-book" range is totally invisible in Portugal.

It seems to me, that for similarity of »Meriden's« market (US), some one of the American readers should search in American internet archives for old catalogues of hollowware articles from 4th quarter of 19 century as well. There must be - for sure! - a visible solution for this question.

Kind regards silverport

Return to “Mystery Objects”