pleas help identifying

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
frenchie_myriam
contributor

pleas help identifying

Post by frenchie_myriam »

Hello All, I have this lovely silver glass which shows the Dutch import mark for ancient silver. But besides this I have no clu. Can anyone help ?

Thanks in advance for your help. Best Regards. Myriam

[img][img]http://x12.putfile.com/11/33007050089-thumb.jpg[/img]

[img][img]http://x12.putfile.com/11/33007051657.jpg[/img]
robinhood

Post by robinhood »

Hi Myriam,

me again :-)

For me it looks like Norway marks.
"830S" is very common for Norway marks around 1800-1920 pp. Also the second marking "Handsmde" looks like (translated in English) "Handsmade" also a mark I have sometimes found on such pieces.
But the rest of the marking is a only a guess ..... "DA?" could be a DAVID ANDERSEN marking (a well known company in norway). I have checked some of their markings but no direct hit :-(
And for the fourth mark I am unable to identify.....maybe you can make a better photo of it ?

Best regards from Hamburg
Alex
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Dear Alex,

Many thanks for the information. The 4th mark is ZI and this one I could find as being the hallmark used in Holland to specify imported silver. Have you got any idea about the mark J.L.H. ?

Thanks again for your help

Best Regards
Myriam
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Could also be Danish, however all of my available resources, to both Danish and Norwegian maker's marks, yield nothing. I did find another example with the Swedish IMPORT marks.
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:KP ... mide&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps one of our Scandinavian members can give us translations on the variables of "handmade" or "handwrought" (handsmide, handsmed, handsmedje etc...) in Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish? and maybe German & Dutch?

Regards, Tom
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, there seems to be no Danish or Swedish maker using the mark 'J.L.H.', so Norwegian is probably correct. The mark 'DA+' is that of D.J. Aubert of 's Gravenhage, Netherlands. It is in use since 1958. He must be the guy who imported this. Are You sure the import mark reads 'Z 1' ? That is for sterling. For 830 it should just read 'Z' with a dot on the right and on the left. Best wishes, Bahner
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Yes some of them are dutch.

The Z mark is definately not the 800/000 mark, it's either the Z I or the Z II mark (Z I is for 925/00 and Z II for 835/000). The Z in the 800/000 mark is centered, so this must be a I or II mark.

So my guess is that the 830s is actually a 930s

As said the DA+ mark is for Aubert, one of the major silver importers in Holland (they are still going strong).
I should note that a "+" behind a responsibility mark indicates an importer (I believe that has been changed recently, but usually it is).

A classic hallmark which I was quized about on my exam.

I'll give Aubert a call in the morning, I talked to the father of the current director a few years ago.. nice guys, so I'm sure we can find out who the maker is.
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

Does anyone have a fax and can send the pictures to Aubert?
I talked to him and he needs to see it to be sure (he thinks even from Africa).
He doesn't have an email address yet.

Let me know if someone wants to fax and I'll give the faxnumber.
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Dear Doos,

Many thanks for your help. Regarding the fax, I can send it but only when I am back from holidays. Please send me the fax number and I shall fax it on 04.1.2006

Thanks and merry Christmas.
Myriam
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

You have already come to the conclusion that this is not Danish. And I can confirm that conclusion. In danish it is spelled HÃ…NDSMEDET

but I have never seen that written on any dansih silver items.
I also checket my books covering the period before 1870 - and no luck.

Admin you are right the one in capital letters - it was the stamp that took me by surprice.
Besides I am most into silver before 1900 - i do not realy like new products. (at least not in silver)
Last edited by Hose_dk on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A leftover piece from a set I had long ago, some of the other pieces had the 3 tower mark dated to the early 1950's. Maker's mark is (i believe) SH.
Regards, Tom

Return to “Other Countries”