is silver more valuable tarnished or cleaned?

Do not post mark questions here.
edevildude

is silver more valuable tarnished or cleaned?

Post by edevildude »

I was wondering if silver flatware, more specifically a fruit bowl spoon is more valuable tarnished or cleaned? any tips on the best way to clean tarnished silver would be great to, thanks!
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Tarnished or polished are not states of value except when talking marketability. The maker, style, period, finess of make, wear, damage all affect value. Salability is often influenced by the surface condition. The patina on a piece is best judged on a piece that has been properly cleaned. Overpolishing can reduce both the patina and its marketability; while mechanical polishing can reduce the value in a collector's eye.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Silver should shine - always.
But I gave up with this Christofle bowl. It came into my possetion much to late - much to late...

Today it is in the garden with flowers. But silver should alway shine....
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Ouch!
bizzbar

Cleaning very dirty silver

Post by bizzbar »

do this outside in open air. silver foil in a bowl with bread soda same same biocarbonate of soda.
boiling water.
leave for a few days rinse and polish .chemical reaction
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

Tarnish and Patina are two separate things.
Patina is the softened glow that comes with age and use. A simple polishing won't remove that.
Tarnish is the black oxidation that actually damages the metal so should be removed, the patina won't be removed unless it is over polished.
I've heard several times that silver used for food should always be polished.
Some people like jewelry to be tarnished because they think it shows age but once the tarnish comes off on their clothes they might change their mind. :)
computermatter10

Post by computermatter10 »

As the purity of the silver decreases, the problem tarnishing increases.
Several products have been developed for the purpose of polishing silver that serve to remove sulfur from the metal without damaging or warping it. Because harsh polishing and buffing can permanently damage and devalue a piece of antique silver, valuable items are typically hand-polished to preserve the unique patinas of older pieces. Techniques such as wheel polishing, which are typically performed by professional jewelers or silver repair companies, are reserved for extreme tarnish or corrosion.

Return to “General Questions”