Dutch Silver Bell

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
CathyH

Dutch Silver Bell

Post by CathyH »

I inherited a silver bell from my mother (picture attached). from this site and the windmills on it I find that it is Dutch, made for export, registered in Schoonhoven in ,I think, 1913. I cannot find the makers mark on any other web site. The picture is not clear but it looks like an "M" and maybe a letter "a" or 2.

Can anyone fill in my gaps?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11797480@N06/3272827634/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11797480@N06/3272827508/
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

I cannot give you references and sources, but I think that the mark "M2" has been used by Schoonhovense Zilverfabriek H. Hooijkas b.v.

Best regards/JAKJO
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

The D is from 1938. Schoonhoven indeed.
Sorry, can't find the maker either.
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

I have now found the "M2" mark, but I think that the "owner" of it, was a sub-contractor to Hoijkaas/Hooykaas. The mark I found is on a three piece art deco tea set designed by Harm Ellens.

I cite the description by an owner of a website without violating the rules of this forum, I hope... I think you will find it and will be able to have a look.

"The hallmarks include makers mark HH, Lion Passant for 833 standard silver, (with keymark indicating it was made for export), Perseus (sic) duty mark with mint mark M on helmet, indicating Schoonhoven assay office, date letter M for 1922 (source Tardy, International hallmarks). The base of each also has the hallmark M2 and a scratched number 42299."
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

Harm Ellens, now that was a great designer (and former director of my school).

After some thinking, I think the M2 mark might be struck on loose parts of an item that were assayed first and then assembled. The first letter indicates the city (M for Schoonhoven) and the number (2) to indicate the purity (2nd standard or 833/000 silver).

An example of such a mark for Amsterdam is given in "goud en zilvermerken van Voet" by Gans (1992), P.171.

When I am correct, there should be a maker's mark somewhere else on the bell and probably the M2 mark will be found on other parts, like on the ladle (is that the correct name for the thing inside the bell?).

Hope that helped.
fredje

Post by fredje »

Hi,

M2 in this cartouche is-

A Maas-Groningen
1839/1850

regards Fred
Athos

Post by Athos »

Hi,

I am sure, Doos is alright about the M2 mark.
It is an office identification mark used from 1931-1953, The M is for Schoonhoven and the 2 is for the alloy 833.
We find A2 in Amsterdam B2 in Utrecht C2 in the Hague enz.
So the bell must be in different parts is it also posible that the wing is missing from this bell?
So I think Doos is right about his story.

Return to “Dutch Silver”