Help in identifying needed rabbit & Clover sheet

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
maddox

Help in identifying needed rabbit & Clover sheet

Post by maddox »

Hi,

need some help in identifying the object on the Pictures.
It is a small Bowl (10cm) with a standing rabbit, the clover sheet in the rabbit's mouth is movable.
I searched the website but din't find anything matching.
How old is it ?
Where is it from ?

Overall weight about 200g (gramm)

thank you, with best regards

maddox
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Charming piece, perhaps a pin tray? Made or retailed by Lazarus Posen Witwe (Widow) of Frankfurt and Berlin. Lazarus Posen was a Jewish silversmith, after his death in the 1860s, his widow Brendina founded what became a well-known maker and supplier of well-crafted silver, including many museum-quality pieces of Judaica. Your piece would date after 1884 and the simple sans-serif "POSEN" seems to be a later mark, probably used after the turn of the century. The company seems to have vanished sometime in the 1930s, presumably as a result of the Nazis coming into power.

Cheryl ;o)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The website of the Jüdisches Museum of Frankfurt can be visited here->
http://www.juedischesmuseum.de/einricht ... mlung.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They have a large collection of Posen silver and used to show a fair number of examples online. Can't seem to find them right now, but that may just be a lack of German on my part.
Regards, Tom
maddox

Post by maddox »

thank you very much
or as we germans say : vielen dank ;)
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, it is probably a tray for visiting cards (Visitenkarten-Staender). It was probably made or retailed in the 1920ies or 1930ies. Posen sold a lot of stuff marked with the various Posen marks, but produced by other German companies. The Berlin branch of Posen is listed in the directories as late as 1936. It is unknown whether the Posen family at this point was still in control of the business. Best wishes, Bahner
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

My first thought was a calling card receiver also, but at 10cm, seemed a bit small.

Cheryl ;o)
maddox

Post by maddox »

hello and thank you again.
meanwhile i wrote a e-mail with some pictures to the jewishmuseum (Jüdischesmuseum). But still no answer :(

Return to “German Silver”