Silver or Silverplate(strange hallmarks)

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
louis2000

Silver or Silverplate(strange hallmarks)

Post by louis2000 »

hello

Anyone kows this hallmark? http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rksbh6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hi Louis-

The mark looks sort of Japanese to me (just my opinion) can you post a picture of the item and any other hallmarks?

Byron
louis2000

Post by louis2000 »

Hello

there are no more hallmarks. Item is a box

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boxvq2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thank you
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hello again Louis-

The box is lovely, is it plated and how big is it? I am just wondering what it might have been used for, since this information might prompt someone here to know when it was made. When posting, it is always a good idea to offer as much information as possible so members will have an easier time responding with pertinent answers.

Best wishes- Byron
louis2000

Post by louis2000 »

hello. I do not have much information abot this box. I have been told it is silver (but obviously hallmarks are not of sterling silver). I do not if is silverplate. It measures aprox 8 x 7 x 5 cm. Internally there is not silk covering. This is all the information I have and would be very grateful if I could know something about these curious hallmarks. Thanks ;)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Louis,
It is Japanese, I've seen a few of these marked Japan or Nippon, all were silverplate over a base metal alloy similar to pewter. I believe they date to the 1st half 20th century.
Regards, Tom

ps. the word Hallmark should not be used for marks on silverplate.
louis2000

Post by louis2000 »

Admin: Thanks for your very valuable information. All the Best :)

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”