gardoni

tea pot 1800 William bayley

Post by gardoni »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
I'd like to know if this tea pot is solid silver?
the film of silver detach, is the vintage fake?
regards Sebastiano Gardoni
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sebastiano,
No one can tell you if it is silver or not from looking at photos. What I can see is that the marks look correct and the piece appears to be hand made and of the proper period.
Regards, Tom
gardoni

Post by gardoni »

My question is whether even the silver foil can remove it may is sterling silver?
thank you and kind regards
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hello Gardoni-

I believe your question is in regards to whether your item is sterling silver? the answer is yes (at least according to the guarantee mark which is the lion). See here: http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All the marks seem to be authentic for the maker and time period that you mentioned, crongratulations! nice piece.

Best regards- byron
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Sebastiano,

Agree with Tom's comments.

It must be remembered that silver is a soft, ductile metal and any harder, sharp object that strikes the surface, can produce a shaved, lifting effect, giving the appearance of, perhaps, a coating.

As Byron remarked, the marks do look authentic, but I'm not at all sure of your attribution to William Bayley, it is a difficult one and it would be good to hear the thoughts of other members.

Regards Trev.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Maybe William Bennett, though Grimwade says he chiefly made trays and salvers.

Miles
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Sebastiano,
Arthur Grimwade's book on London Goldsmiths (page 435) notes the Parliamentary Report of 1773 records Bayley as a bucklemaker. Also that Heal records Bayley active only until 1783. There's nothing conclusive in either of these points but it seems that Bayley's career might not have included teapot making and over before 1800.
As Miles says Grimwade records William Bennett as principally a tray and salver maker. In my personal records however I've noted Bennett having been attributed as making sauce tureens and a coffee pot.
Again from my records it seems the only other candidate is a William Bryceson. Grimwade records him as a registered smallworker but I've seen a jug attributed to him.
The attributions may not be wholly accurate but, on balance, Bennett seems the more likely candidate for maker.
Mike
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Another point to bear in mind is the size of the mark. Grimwade usually notes when marks are submitted in more than one size. With this in mind I did wonder if Wilkes Booth (Grimwade 3027) might be a candidate. Although entered as a snuffermaker, he was in business some years, so who knows what skills he may have aquired over time, but my reasoning is really only based on the size of the mark when compared with the Hallmarks that would have used on something the size of a teapot.

Trev.
gardoni

Post by gardoni »

thank you, you are fantastic an with a lot of experience.
regards Sebastiano
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Can I suggest you take a look at this:-http://www.silvercollection.it/englishs ... same mark

Return to “London Hallmarks”