Berry Spoon - Sterling silver? advice appreciated

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
nich52

Berry Spoon - Sterling silver? advice appreciated

Post by nich52 »

I am puzzled by this berry spoon. It has very unclear marks and it might not even be silver, although it looks and feels like silver to me. The first mark looks like KP but I can't find any such maker. The last one seems to read NS or N&S but I can't be sure. The middle one is completely unreadable. I can't see any lion passant or town mark, unless the middle one is one of those.
Someone has scratched a series of letters under the marks. It could be a UK postcode - but why would anyone deface an old piece of silver like this?
And if it isn't silver, why bother with this identification? The spoon is 195mm long. If anyone could hazard a guess to the age or maker, or even if it is silver, I would be very grateful.

georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

RP = makers mark.... NS = nickel silver which is an alloy. Best wishes, Mike.
nich52

Post by nich52 »

Thanks Mike - looks like it's new home will be the kitchen drawer instead of the display cabinet then!
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Instead of RP, do you think it could be EP?
This would make it Electro-plated Nickel Silver with the maker's mark in the middle. Doesn't make much difference to anything though.

Miles
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

I guess I do not understand why the items monetary value should distract from the items artistic value, you own it do what you want with it I guess, just my humble opinion is all. :-)
nich52

Post by nich52 »

Yes, I agree up to a point. If I had discovered that it was a very old spoon, made of sterling silver, I would just 'respect' the spoon a bit more because of the craftsmanship and skill that went into it's manufacture. It's not the monetary value that is so important, it's the quality and the age.

The person that sold it to me actually offered me a full refund, but I chose to keep it because it is quite attractive.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”