Is this a Sigi or Not?

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silvercrown

Is this a Sigi or Not?

Post by silvercrown »

We purchased this lovely, Mexican sterling pin as a Sigi Pineda. Stylistically it is correct. In fact, it is much like one of his pins you have shown on this site. The spread eagle, #36, is right. However, try as we might we cannot find another example of this mark, which is not stamped, but hand etched. It even has the design number 19. Has anyone else ever seen this mark for Sigi? Is it the real deal or did we get took? Thanks for your help!

Silvercrown

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I've seen Sigi pieces where part of the markings were added as later inscriptions, but this is the first piece I've seen where all of the marks have been inscribed. However, I have no problem in accepting them as genuine.

Many people assume that the marks are the last additions in the creative sequence, but in an assemblage like this piece they are one of the first steps, as it is not possible to stamp the piece after assembly.

If the maker forgot to mark it early on, or the marks were later obliterated or obscured in the soldering or polishing processes, inscription after its completion would make sense.

There is no doubt that, genuine or not, marks like these tend to cause insecurity. However, the presence of the eagle mark with a known Sigi number should provide reassurance.

Regards, Tom
silvercrown

Post by silvercrown »

Tom, thank you. We felt quite sure when we found it. We bought it feeling good about the piece. But, you are right about the feeling of insecurity. The more I tried to find a mark like this one and couldn't the more iggly we felt. Your answer has reassured us and we thank you.

Silvercrown
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Just went into the archives and dug up an example of a partially inscribed Sigi mark. Nice to see that the handwriting is a match.
Regards, Tom

silvercrown

Post by silvercrown »

Tom, well, that's the icing on the cake! Thanks for taking the trouble to find the mark. We are truly appreciative.

Demetrios & Geri
Silvercrown

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”