topazio silver dating help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tonyatl

topazio silver dating help

Post by tonyatl »

i have a decanter made by topazio of portuagal with a stamp as shown. does anyone know if the H designates a year or perhaps a maker. given the nature of the firm i suspect the former. i also suspect that it is relatively recent but there is some circumstantial evidence suggesting that it may not be brand spanking new.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
Are there any marks on it that indicate it is silver?

Tom
tonyatl

Post by tonyatl »

after looking i did not find any specific silver marks....so i guess the conclusion is that this is silverplate?
tonyatl

Post by tonyatl »

i guess the reason i thought it had silver content was 1. the topazio website has a similar though obviously different pitcher / decanter with precisely the same silver collar under its sterling section. 2. the few dealers i found were claiming similarly marked items as silver / sterling. but alas these are not proofs....against it being sterling is the hardness of the metal...it just seemed to me putting silverplate on crystal was kind of a waste....

i guess i am still curious about the H so if the post needs to move to silverplate i understand....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't know that it is silverplate, but I suspect that it is, can't think of any reason why Topazio would not have included a standard mark and I have seen plenty of silverplate mounted crystal claret jugs. Let's see what others have to say.
Regards, Tom
ramon306

Re: topazio silver dating help

Post by ramon306 »

The piece you own is a silver plated piece.
The mark “Topázio casquinha” means it’s a silver plated piece from Topázio.
The mark “T” with crown certifies that the decanter is in fact made by Topázio.
The mark ” H “ means the date when it was produced...which I would I would believe to be late 50s, early 60s.

Return to “Other Countries”