Silver Bowl - German Hallmarks?

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Christiane

Silver Bowl - German Hallmarks?

Post by Christiane »

Hello,

we trying to find out the provenance and age of this silver Bowl. There are four distinctive hallmarks, we coud not identify so far. We would be very thankful for any help!

http://www.bilder-speicher.de/080616229 ... -page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bilder-speicher.de/080616229 ... -page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Christiane,
Welcome to the forum. It is not German, but Danish. You can see the "three tower" and assayer's mark at http://www.925-1000.com/dm_Assay.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll leave further details for members better versed in Danish marks to add.

Regards, Tom
Christiane

Post by Christiane »

Hello Tom and thanks!!!

Best regards Christiane
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

and that is me.
But I cannot extract contenth of mark.
One is M ?? if it is M it is Møller - But in another mark i think that I see Hinnerup. So I realy need a better picture.
Style is corresponding with Hinnerup.

The 4 marks are:
3 towers and by them we can identify which year the item was made.
Then Guardein mark - and that is where im am in ??
Third mark is tax mark by this mark we can identify within 30 days when the piece was made - so we realy can get close to production - according to my knowledhge only Denmark and Norway (danish at that time) date down to month.
Forth mark is maker - and I am also sure that we can find him and his history - but first a better picture is required.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

or I could download - instead of making a copy.
It is Hinnerup - guardein 1840 to 1863
It is the 3 towers from 1843
Virgin - August 21st until September 23rd
Maker is more difficult.
ML ? Meyer Nathan Levy - 1776-1844 master january 1st 1799 (but I dont think it is his - try to describe the mark)

NE ?

NL? Nicolai B Lorentzen
AI ? Asbjørn Jacobsen
try to describe what it says.
Christiane

Post by Christiane »

Hello
and thanks a lot. Your explanation is exciting. We never thought that is such an old piece. I added a new photo for the marker mark. The bowl is twice marked, inside and on the edge. On the edge the markers mark is a bit better to see, but although difficult, maybe j/i v/y?

Thanks and best regards
Christiane

http://www.bilder-speicher.de/080617228 ... -page.html

and also

Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

That is difficult - I think it is NL Have tried other combinations but NL is Nicloai B Lorentzen born in Haderslev approx 1804. Master December 3rd 1830 - continues business until 1850 where he gives up his city chip and becomes a producer of liquier in 1851. (brændevin i.e. snaps)

I think that it must be him. His mark is NL in oval (variations in oval).
Christiane

Post by Christiane »

Many thanks Hose_dk for your for your efforts.
There ist no question open about a piece, we know nothing a few days ago. I find the competence on this Forum
remarkable! Best regards Christiane

Hose_dk wrote:That is difficult - I think it is NL Have tried other combinations but NL is Nicloai B Lorentzen born in Haderslev approx 1804. Master December 3rd 1830 - continues business until 1850 where he gives up his city chip and becomes a producer of liquier in 1851. (brændevin i.e. snaps)

I think that it must be him. His mark is NL in oval (variations in oval).

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”